We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Crime Prevention

Pine Man
Resolved

Likes # 0

Thought I heard someone in my bathroom last night. Just in case it was a burglar I shot a few bullets through the door ;-)

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Flak999. No but the drugs found might!

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

Bingalau

I don't want to speculate about what Pistorious might or might not do.

I'll just say that getting in and out of South Africa illegally is pretty simple given its huge land borders. During Apartheid the military spent a fortune on border security of all forms. I doubt if that spending has been maintained.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

According to reports he shot four times, and hit her with three of them.

Even if you could see somebody, and in daylight, that is pretty good shooting (at the sort of range we're talking about) with a hand gun in a panic, let alone through a door in darkness.

If you're firing blind you scatter the bullets around in the hope of a lucky shot, you also keep going until the magazine is empty.

If his story is true he was very unlucky to have hit her at all, let alone fatally.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I prefer not, at this stage , to prejudge this issue. However, if the law in SA is similar to UK then even if the bathroom occupant had been an illegal intruder, then the law of "reasonable force" comes into play. If he had seen the intruder coming at him with a weapon and feared for his life, he may get away with it. It is not "reasonable force" to open fire through a closed bathroom door at an unseen target,so at the very least it is unlawful killing of some kind.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

FE

"That's not the problem - the real difficulty is going to come when the trial starts, and the court has to find an impartial jury"

But I thought jury trials had been done away with many years ago in South Africa? Which I believe is the reason why media reporting can be far greater than here, since there isn't a jury to influence.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

That's what they said on Five Live news, there was no juries because there was 11 major languages used in South Africa which made for a hell of a complication trying to find a jury that was capable of understanding all the procedure, so they use a panel of professional legal people instead.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

spider9 and Quickbeam

I stand corrected - the trial will indeed be before a panel consisting of a judge and two experienced advocates or Magistrates.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I think that I sooner have my trial by our ancient judgement of twelve men, good and true.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

...or by combat if the evidence looked a bit too much in favour of the prosecution!

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

The prosecution case turns into a pantomime...

Is a fair trial possible now?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch R video review: The most desirable Android Wear smartwatch

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

2015 creative trends: leading designers & artists reveal the biggest influences & changes coming th)......

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad