We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Crime Prevention

Pine Man
Resolved

Likes # 0

Thought I heard someone in my bathroom last night. Just in case it was a burglar I shot a few bullets through the door ;-)

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I would have done it different I would have shot out the door.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

It seems he didn't have his legs on. I think he must change heads too and he had his cabbage head on that night.

I don't know about anybody else but I would have had a tentative question through the door. "Is that you in there darling?" But it seems in South Africa you shoot first and ask questions afterwards, a bit like the old wild west.

Is it Mr Pistorious we are talking about? Maybe we are also jumping the gun?

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I assume that CSI-SA will be hard at work with their coloured sticks, trying to work out the angle from which the shots came.

After-all he claims to have been legless at the time!

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

He should ask OJ Simpson for his lawer's number.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

OK, let's remember that a young woman was murdered in this incident, and jokey remarks are in extremely bad taste. If I see any more I'll simply delete them.

Talk about the factual side of the trial by all means, but cut out the schoolboy humour please.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

One assumes that, without his blades, he would be considerably shorter than with them, and therefor the shots would go through the door at a different angle.

On the other hand, if I were planning to do away with someone, I don't think that shooting them through a door would be the most obvious way of guaranteeing success.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

His defence argument does seem somewhat far fetched.

Speaking of his defence, I don't think much of the South African legal system that allows massive wild speculations from the police before a formal trial.

From what I've heard so far, I would think that the judiciary have already decided that he's guilty as charged with what seems to pass as a magistrates referral hearing being the full trial.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Unfortunately white Saffers are paranoid about crime - rightly so - and take self protection to extreme limits.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

wee eddie

"...if I were planning to do away with someone, I don't think that shooting them through a door would be the most obvious way of guaranteeing success."

I think that the prosecution case is going to be that the couple had been arguing fiercely prior to the shooting, and that possibly Reeva ran into the bathroom to get away from Pistorius, locking the door to keep him out.

What I find hard to understand is Pistorius's claim that he thought he heard an intruder, got up, strapped on his prostheses, walked 23 feet to the bathroom, fired at least three rounds through a door, and only then realised that Reeva wasn't in the bed. If I woke suddenly in the night and heard a noise in the bathroom the first thing I would do, before going to investigate, would be to check to see if my wife was in the bed.

If I thought an intruder was inside a locked bathroom I would call the Police, I wouldn't blaze away at the door with a handgun, even if I did have one handy.

Then there's the matter of the cricket bat with traces of Reeva's blood on it.

Then there's the matter of the witness who said the couple were heard arguing for at least an hour before the shooting.

No doubt all this will be examined at the trial in a few months time. The prosecution is obviously intent on contesting a bail application because Police fear that Pistorious will flee the country and attempt to avoid extradition.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

No doubt there will now be further discussions about gun control and self protection where crime is reaching an already high?.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Netflix to introduce price increase: New subcribers to start with

IDG UK Sites

Apple financial results: iPhones, iPads & Macs sales for Apple's Q2 2014, plus shares to split

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites

See Moo Studios' new animated advert for Blue Moon beer