We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Richard Briers has died

Al94

Likes # 0

Like this post
Matt Egan

Likes # 0

Ha! I was always on the side of the Peter Egan character, for obvious reasons.

Richard Briers was Terry-Thomas' cousin, you know. And one of the few people to remain a constant friend and support throughout his cousin's late-life illness and poverty. It doesn't change the fact that he was a fine serious and straight actor, but it is nice to know that he was a good egg, too.

A national treasure, cherished and missed.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I always thought his best popular role was the one for which he is probably least remembered, George Starling in "The Marriage Lines.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

morddwyd

As you know, Briers starred in "The Marriage Lines" with Prunella Scales - she of Fawlty Towers fame - and they remained very close friends for the rest of his life. Richard was godfather to Prunella's children, and they lived very close to each other.

Prunella is on record as saying that Briers was one of the nicest men she knew, and right to the end she visited him regularly, to make sure he was OK.

He wasn't so close to Felicity Kendal ('The good life') however, describing her as a 'somewhat strange' person. In fact, Briers didn't much enjoy his 'Good life' character; he said he found him incredibly irritating.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

Penelope Keith gave a very good interview on BBC last night, another one here

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

Well Richard Briers made many people happy and The Good Life Comedy brought many smiles laughs on peoples faces however young or old. He was a good man and brought joy to many on the tv screen.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I don't like repeats of last week's programs, but at times there is a case for these older programs to be shown again. I missed all sorts of brilliant programs through being away from home through the fifties and sixties, when it seems most of them were doing the rounds. Other people must also have had this problem. So come on BBC and ITV. Check to see if they (old comedy shows by the likes of Richard Briers etc.) are still fit for modern consumption and get them on again. I know old programs can be seen on Sky TV etc. but they are ruined by adverts.

I am sure the BBC could pay royalties from the amount of money involved in the licence fee. Besides as they are having to cut costs by reducing staff levels, there is more of a case for bringing out some of the better shows again.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"a case for bringing out some of the better shows again."

What were better shows at the time 30 years ago aren't necessarily better now, or what a modern audience would watch at prime time on a prime channel. I used to (and still do) like watching The Sweeney and The Professionals, when they were new, they were gritty and cutting edge drama, now when I watch them I see corny parodies much like The Avengers, which pretended to be nothing else than a corny parody.

Currently you can watch David Attenborough's huge Life On Earth series from the early '80s on iPlayer that seemed to last forever at that time. It was very ground breaking in it's day for it's photography techniques and the depth at which the subject was covered. After wading through the first 2 1/2 programmes, I decided that it's too bloody boring to watch all the way through again!

I just cherry pick my viewing now with the use of iPlayers and HD recording and the like.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I'm inclined to agree with Quickbeam. What was hilarious a few decades ago might fall very flat with a modern audience.

Some of the stuff that was aired back in the 1970s and 80's looks dreadfully amateurish when compared with modern output, and comedy is a particularly difficult field - political and social references that were very funny then would be largely meaningless now.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

I would expect that to be particularly true with 'The Good Life'. Many of the 'weird' things done by Tom are the sort of things we take for granted today.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

...Dad's Army and MAS*H both stand the test of time ... Blackadder, also, has timeless 'stiff-upper-lip' turning to 'burst-out-laughing' moments, also.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Complete guide to iPhone and iPad settings: Get to know iOS 8 Settings UPDATED