We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Has anyone Sean Connerys phone number

Algerian peter ™
Resolved

Likes # 0

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

Bingalau "....vote in this referendum if and when they ever have it"

Do you know something we don't? Is there doubt about this referendum being held?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

spider9

"Why did all those people you spoke to actually attend those meetings , if not to gather information and opinions from the prospective MP, before they cast votes?"

You'll notice that I said 'meetings and events' - the events included fetes, town shows, sporting occasions, etc., and people were not there primarily to gather information before casting votes.

At the meetings a lot of people were there simply to heckle - they had already made up their minds - and of course many were dyed-in-the-wool party supporters; they weren't there to gather information either.

No, you didn't imply that people don't gather information from lots of sources, but you did say that in the main people use governments and the media. I agree that the media are important influencers of public opinion, but people vote the way they do for many reasons - many of which are nothing to do with media opinions.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

FE

I think we both understand what we each meant. You must admit that the preamble about your father did tend to suggest you were talking about those meetings, but I accept your further explanation of 'events'.

I am still of the opinion that my 'in the main' comment was a perfectly reasonable one, which, obviously, would be difficult to prove/disprove.

Considering how many people still buy newspapers and watch/listen to broadcasts of politics programmes (but seemingly aren't affected as much as by someone they might just 'bump into'), it does seem odd that they hardly get influenced by them - but we'll maybe have to agree to disagree about that.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

spider9

Come, come - please don't try fudge this, it's the kind of thing that leads to the very behaviour you criticised so strongly in someone else.

"You must admit that the preamble about your father did tend to suggest you were talking about those meetings, but I accept your further explanation of 'events'."

I don't have to admit anything of the kind. I very clearly said: "During his time as a candidate he spoke at many meetings and events" It couldn't be clearer. At no point have I questioned your opinion - I simply recounted my own experience - but you tried to distort what I wrote. There's no need to wriggle with "I think we both understand what we each meant" because it's clearly there for all to see.

I'm not out to prove or disprove anything about what you've said, I fully respect your right to express your opinions. I will however respond when someone deliberately tries to put a different meaning on something I've written.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

FE. Yes quite a few of these Scottish friends live on the south coast. They ended up there because that's where they lived whilst in the services. A bit like Macscouse ending up in Scotland. But many times I have asked them when are they going to move back home. The answer is of course that their families are now settled down here in England. Funnily enough some of their offspring, born and bred in Hampshire, Devon or Dorset, are more vociferous than their parents about how brilliant Scotland is. Where does that come from?

I've joked with them many times about whether I would ever allow any of them back in to England once they left, apart from a short visit to come and see me. Providing their passports are in order of course.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

FE

I can hardly believe that response, because I used the expression "You must admit...." which is one commonly used without it having implications of a courtroom, you accuse me of 'fudge?'and then bad behaviour? towards fourm member? (Without any word of the fact that he was rude to me when I had not even addressed him, I notice!!). Balance?

I was not attempting a 'wriggle', my opinions have not changed and I would still maintain the 'preamble' paragraph about your father immediately prior to the "During his time...." ' might have made anyone think you were talking of that. I apologised for mistaking that, following your explanation!

What more could I say?

It's interesting to notice how many times a contributor on here can get 'caught' between two others - or is that purely the onset of paranoia, I wonder? (;-0)

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"yet have already 'thrown in the towel', "

I've not thrown in the towel, as I'm not even in the fight.

As a non-Scot I'm just a spectator, albeit, as a long time resident, one with an interest.

I am in favour, but I have my own agenda (I am Welsh) and while I am grateful to be invited to vote, it ill behoves me to try to influence the behaviour of those who have welcomed me as a guest.

I have no doubt independence will come, but not for at least thirty, maybe fifty, years.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

spider9 - I've always thought [I could be wrong] that FE, fm and morrdwyd are the three witches in the opening scene from Macbeth, hee hee.

Like this post
Macscouse

Likes # 0

Bing.alau - In answer to your question about voting, only people on the electoral roll in Scotland will be entitled to vote, although El Presidente wants 16 year olds to have the vote as well. I love living in the Highlands of Scotland, mainly for the countyside and the pure air. I have not yet made up my mind, but I have a sinking feeling that taxes would have to rise significantly here in Scotland, if it became independant. I will not make my mind up until I know whether the Shetlanders and Orcadians will go their own way also. They have no love of Central Belt politicians and their nefarious ways.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Bing.alau

"Funnily enough some of their offspring, born and bred in Hampshire, Devon or Dorset, are more vociferous than their parents about how brilliant Scotland is. Where does that come from?"

It's a well-known phenomenon that ex-pats are the ones most likely to extol the virtues of their native land, although they often choose not to live there. I know English people who have lived in HongKong for decades, happily making lots of money and enjoying a wonderful lifestyle, yet when they get started about 'home' - usually at the tail end of a few libations - they get tears in their eyes, and tell me how lucky I am to live in London.

It's human nature I suppose. I get a strong sense of loyalty whenever Wales is discussed, yet I only lived there for a few years, and only 50% of me is Welsh anyway.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...