We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Has anyone Sean Connerys phone number

Algerian peter
Resolved

Likes # 0

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

'ere! Who's 'alf inched my post?

WTM

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

spider9

It matters little what English, or even Scottish, politicians say.

There has been a consistent 70%, give or take a few percentage points, against independence since polls first started.

Only something like the Poll Tax, and I think the Tories have leaned their lesson there, is going to have any major effect on that.

Unlike fm, I am a committed separationist.

Unlike you, I am also a realist.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

morddwyd

My position, which I have made clear previously, is that I'm as yet undecided on how to vote (as I suspect are many others) and await the arguments.

I am prepared to listen to politicians and media before choosing, and, yes, I may be swayed by their arguments. Information comes to the people, in the main, through the media and governments - my job is to sift out that which I agree with, and eventually vote accordingly.

If that is being an un-realist (in your terms) then so be it, I'm happy with it!

You say you are in favour of Independence, yet have already 'thrown in the towel', a year and a half before the referendum - now THAT'S a position I find odd.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

spider9

"Information comes to the people, in the main, through the media and governments"

At one point in his life my father was a parliamentary candidate for one of the main political parties. He withdrew before the General election, but that's another story.

During his time as a candidate he spoke at many meetings and events, and he asked me if I would attend with him and conduct unofficial and unscientific polls of peoples' opinions, simply by chatting to them. I must have spoken to hundreds of people, and what we discovered was that in fact a large number of them got lots of their information, not from the sources you cite, but from friends and work colleagues, or even from complete strangers in trains, on buses, in queues etc.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I think most of us are influenced by the people we work with. when I left school at the tender age of fourteen, I knew exactly nothing about politics except that some people were politicians and made the rules.

If I had been able to vote at that age I would most probably have followed the advice of my older workmates. This in turn might have set a pattern for life, because we know we couldn't possibly have been wrong the previous time, could we? So a voting pattern is a habit set in stone by some people. Luckily I wasn't old enough to vote and by the time I was old enough I was elsewhere. I couldn't be bothered voting as life was too hectic. But I voted by proxy the time after that through my wife. So in reality I didn't actually vote in person until I was well in to my twenties.

I have lots of Scottish friends (most live in southern England now) they are always going on about how much better Scotland is than anywhere else in the World. But I am waiting with bated breath to find out which way they will vote in this referendum if and when they ever have it.

I also wonder does Macscouse get a vote and if so what will he do? he may be in between the Devil (not you LHO) and the deep blue sea.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

'from friends and work colleagues, or even from complete strangers in trains, on buses, in queues etc.'

And a great many people don't pay any attention to any information. Their view is fixed. Those are the ones that can be ignored when looking at the likely result.

What matters are the 'don't knows'. At the moment, support is running at about 30% with about 20% undecided. That means all undecideds have to decide in favour to barely scrape a majority. If the undecideds split in line with the current decideds then there will be a 62.5% 'No' vote.

There have been studies suggesting that, in exceptional circumstances, as many as 80% of undecideds can make the same choice.

For 2014, that would mean the current 30% becoming 46%.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Bing.alau

"I have lots of Scottish friends (most live in southern England now) they are always going on about how much better Scotland is than anywhere else in the World."

But they live in Southern England, rather than in the place that is "better than anywhere else in the world."

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Is that confirmation that Southern England is the best place to live in the world?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

...I thought I was living there where I am now all these years:)

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

FE

With respect I might counter your " unofficial and unscientific polls of peoples' opinions" which were taken by yourself, at meetings, voluntarily attended I presume.

Why did all those people you spoke to actually attend those meetings , if not to gather information and opinions from the prospective MP, before they cast votes?

Yes people do use all sorts of sources, I never implied they didn't, but MPs and the media also figure substantially in the picture. (What was that famous election headline - The Sun Won It - or something very similar? Which then begs the question of why Party leaders have always courted the newspaper 'barons' if they feel the media have no influence on voters??)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features