We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Has anyone Sean Connerys phone number

Algerian peter ™
Resolved

Likes # 0

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Should a railway company really be actively influencing peoples decisions on the independence vote?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

The Scotrail is not available on the East Coast services Scotrail club 55. The Senior Citizen card for those 60 and over is valid on that route and the return fare from Berwick to Edinburgh can be got for less than £15 which is cheaper than travel anywhere for £19 return with Club 55. So there shouldn't be a song and dance about this.

However will the Senior Railcard be valid if the Scots get indepence?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Of course if you wanted to go to Wick then it would be more expensive.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

Woolwell

The 'song and dance' just might be coming from people aged 55-60 who can't get the other card.

Quickbeam

I wasn't suggesting this had anything to do with the independence vote.

My point, badly made, was that most of the stories about Berwick changing sides are PR puffs with no underlying basis.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

morddwyd "What intrigues me is the petty mindedness of the UK Government"

I would say "What amazes me...", because, by the Mail propagating these scare stories, I reckon they will 'put the backs up' of many more Scots.

The Mail traditionally panders to 'middle England Tories with a slight BNP bias' (in my opinion, of course) and they will love and agree with the sentiments - but doesn't the Mail realise that the only votes that count in this election will be Scotland-dwellers - and they are hardly in that category.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

spider9

'the Mail propagating these scare stories, I reckon they will 'put the backs up' of many more Scots.'

You are certainly to be admired for your continued blind faith.

The Mail has run plenty of scare stories about Salmond and the SNP and none of them has moved the opinion polls one jot.

Anyone who is truly interested in Scotland's future prosperity should be planning for what happens after the 'No' vote.

Will the SNP accept the vote and get on with working for Scotland or will it sulk and seek to show that the idiot voters got it wrong?

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

fourm member

Back to your wild accusations once more, I see.

"You are certainly to be admired for your continued blind faith"

Pray explain to me, where in my post, in which I simply give an opinion about the possible effect on Scots voters in general, is this then construed in your mind as 'blind faith'?

Your past record of twisting people's words is well known on this forum - but even I find this latest a tad ridiculous (even for you!).

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"Will the SNP accept the vote and get on with working for Scotland or will it sulk and seek to show that the idiot voters got it wrong?"

Well the first thing they will have to do is elect a new leader, for Salmond will be finished.

He has worked all his life for this one throw of the dice, unfortunately too successfully, for once he got the train rolling he was carried along with it and it's now travelling too fast for him to get off, even though he knows it is far too soon for a referendum.

The SNP have always said that in the event of a No vote they would forget it for a generation, and I have no reason to doubt that.

They will need to lick their wounds for some years, and build up resources, but as a modern generation is only reckoned to be sixteen years many of you will see this issue raised again.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

I would think the post-referendum situation will depend also, on the margins of win/lose.

If the reult was a crushing defeat for independence, then I agree a 'generation' will be the next timescale. However, if the defeat were 'marginal' then I simply cannot see the SNP supporters going away - the fact they got this far would likely be enough to keep them going.

Presumably the SNP, the largest governing Party, would not simply close down and let Scotland return to the English Party setup, Lab/Lib/Tory?

In many ways the genie is already out of it's bottle - interesting times lie ahead, whichever way it goes.

fm - I do have blind faith that it will be either 'Yes' or 'No', next year!!)

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

spider9

Oh, please.

I'm not going to go back through the forum archives to find all the other occasions you have put forward your opinion that such and such will drive Scots towards voting for independence.

The 'blind faith' I referred to was your obvious belief that things said or done by English politicians and the media will impact on support for Salmond.

That hasn't happened in the year plus that this topic has been around and it isn't going to happen now.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia