We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Identification Longshot and Talking Point 833

Brumas
Resolved

Likes # 0

Good Evening All

A busy road junction

click here

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

The current A/Z shows a short High St section, I'm guessing that when it was redeveloped people forgot about it as I know the locals refer to the whole length as Main St.

The local hospital up the hill is the Montague Hospital.

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

Quickbeam You will let us know what you find out, won't you?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Mexborough Main/High Street 2013

I had a walk along Main St this morning Brumas. Image 1812 is where I thought your image was taken from, but as I walked further East, 1812/13/14/15 & 21 Show the old Midland bank in it's new use, a bookies!

Further along at the other end is a Natwest bank and the Montague arms that Jock1e mentioned, images 1824/25/33

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Quickbeam

Well done actually finding the original bank building that should earn you a couple of extra Brownie points for your dedication.Well Done.

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

Quickbeam WellDone that man! Forget the brownie points, accept a virtual voucher for the shoe leather you wore out ;o}}

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Quickbeam

Probably banked some of your money in the bookies and had a few pints in the pub while you were there.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

A further point of interest, opposite the new shops built in the '60s is a black granite fronted building (I don't know why I didn't take a picture of it) with gold Art Deco detail that was built in the '30s by Woolworths. Which to my mind was one of the last Woolworths to have the parky flooring and mahogany sales islands.

When Woolworths came to town you knew your town was on the map, Mexborough is a very small market toen with it's wealth coming from the South Yorks coal fields, although it looks busy today, it's a shadow of what it was when King Coal ruled.

Now I just need to know if Lazarus The 2nd was guessing on the X clue! Once he mentioned it, there was enough to trigger a memory cell that there was something familiar about it, but couldn't quite put a finger on it:)

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Quickbeam - great schnapps! You've now, well and truly, put Mexborough on the map ... and ImageShack looks like a great way to get one's digital photos 'on line'.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Put Mexborough on the map for me as well. I had never heard of it before Friday.

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

Aye, sterling work done by IL/TP's own intrepid, Yorkshire and environs, Roving Reporter Quickbeam ;o}}

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips for beginners: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite