We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What would you do if.......

csqwared
Resolved

Likes # 0

This happened to you.

unstoppable

Can't imagine how this guy was feeling but, whilst doing 125mph, still had the coolness to the police. I was puzzled by the fact that cutting the car engine didn't work. I'm not at all familiar with Renault but surely, if you turn off the ignition, the engine stops - doesn't it?

Good job he didn't have a full tank of fuel.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Wasn't a Morris Marina was it fm?

That was a well know fault if you didn't keep the linkage lubricated. That meant every month in the winter when salt was spread over the roads.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

It surprising how a number of 'incidents' can and does happen to vehicles, and the public know very little about them, until it gets in the media, or possibly BBC Watchdog?.

Ask any major car retailer about their 'confidential trade only' report book, and the results can be very surprising, so the next time you might take your vehicle in for a service, further checks and action might be taken, without you even knowing.

I had an incident last year, when one of my vehicle rear brake linings became 'unglued' and locked the wheel. After further checks, the 'fault' was not entirely unknown to the trade and rescue services. In fact I got the impression that it was 'just one of those things'. I still wonder what might have happened, had I been tanking down a motorway at high speed, as I haven't seen any reports on this issue?.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

spuds, don't you mean driving down the motorway at seventy miles per hour? There may well be a nice policeman on here who will be on the look out for your car after reading that.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Bing.alau

"tanking down a motorway at high speed" is about 50 mile an hour for me nowadays. But I would confess to exceeding far higher speeds when the M1 first opened, and in an (allowed to do) previous job ;o)

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

Seventies. ---- Mini Cooper S. ---- Dusk and light rain showers. Had just left Strensham Services heading North after clueless mechanic there failed to sort a wiper problem.

Down the slip road allowed an HGV to sail past before overtaking him and accelerating. Suddenly felt the accelerator snatch from under my foot and went down hard to the floor. Indicated left and steered towards the hard shoulder, switched off when doing about 80 to 90 once I was no longer blocking the HGV's lane.

Anticipating trouble but having to go to Birmingham at short notice sick visiting, I had brought a torch and screwdriver fortunately. The waste of space at the service area had the air cleaner off and only partially shoved it home. The accelerator mechanism has a knuckle which had resisted pedal movement for part of the travel and then passed the point of no return and slipped this knuckle past the miss-placed air cleaner.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

Yep, this has happened to me too. Long, long (long) time ago in a reliant kitten. (think robin, but with 4 wheels- a much understated car) Was my own fool fault, I had pulled off the air filter for some reason (cant remember) and was a bit careless when refitting the plastic inlet ducting. Drove ok until I hit full throttle going uphill, when the throttle lever on the carb fouled the ducting, sticking full on. Realised something was wrong when I upshifted from 2nd to 3rd and the engine raced. Simply turned the ignition off, coasted to a stop and rectified the problem under the bonnet before carrying on.

But full throttle accidents used to happen to old land rover petrols when the rod throttle linkage became worn and fell off, as there was no throttle return spring on the carburettor body, so the throttle flap simply fell open. I found this out on my old series 3 while competing in a road taxed vehicle trial. Fortunately there were plenty of trees to stop me!

WTM

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Happened to me once on a bike when a frayed throttle cable jammed in the outer sheath, and the footrest was about a quarter of an inch off the tarmac.

Suddenly everything is coming towards you twice as fast, and has grown to twice as big!

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

There could be one reason why the throttle stayed open and that is because it's drive by wire for the accelerator and if it's an auto then he may not have been able to get it into neutral because of the speed he was doing, safety precautions prevents you dropping into a low gear at high speed.

Never been keen on relying on a piece of soft ware to control a car I'm driving, keep having visions of this enter link description here appearing on dash board just prior to acident

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

I should also point out that it's also possible for turbo diesels to run out of control. This happens when the turbo develops an internal lubricating oil leak, so (engine) oil is fed into the induction side and is burned in the engine. It's also worth adding that when running on regular fuel there are built in safeguards, sometimes mechanical sometimes electronic, to in theory prevent over revving of the engine, but in the circumstances I mentioned there is no limiting factor, so under a no load condition the engine will literally destroy itself. It's pretty rare, but it does happen, and I know of three occurrences myself. No way to shut it down either, except by forceably stalling it which is big strain on the brakes, and an even bigger one on the transmission. The alternatives are crashing and open wallet surgery for a new engine.

WTM

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft Band UK release date and price rumours, features and specs: Microsoft smartwatch unveiled

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015