We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Probably my last desktop PC build

chub_tor
Resolved

Likes # 0

Or I could equally have called it "Is anyone buying desktop PCs any more?"

For the last 7 or 8 years each time I have upgraded my desktop I have been able to sell the old one via adverts in the local newspaper. Sometimes they have gone to others wishing to upgrade from their old machine and sometimes to students at Plymouth University needing a basic machine for internet surfing, emails and typing up their course work. Never have I had to re-insert the advertisement as the machines have always sold within a week. This year nothing and I have had two good fast PCs sitting around for weeks with nary a sniff of a call about them.

I can only presume that my potential buyers are looking for either tablets or laptops which take up less space and apart from storage offer everything that you can get with a desktop system.

I would be interested to know if others have found this to be the case.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I tend to do a complete build every two years but upgrade in between, awaiting a new case and fan controller and a couple of additions to my Prodigy build (Side window and mesh front panel) as I type. I have no problems selling on my components after an upgrade etc on another forum I am a member of.

But I cannot remember when I have sold a complete PC as I will make more in breaking them down and selling the components individually. I will add that it is still a loss making venture.

Us gamers will still want our desktop PC's and I cannot see that changing anytime soon.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Certainly the choice of desktops has gone right down in the high street stores you need to look online to Chillblast / Scan if wanting a desktop.

I certainly don't like working on a laptop, presentations and documents are all prepared on the desktop and transferred to the laptop for showing.

I'm in a quandary at the moment as I'm looking to upgrade but do I go for:

desktop or laptop ? windows 7 or 8?

pad? Ios android or windows?

Had my moneys worth out of the current machine reckon its cost me £2 a week not including electric :0)

Like this post  
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Chronos the 2nd

To date I have never considered selling the individual parts as until now I have always been able to sell the complete machines locally but it has crossed my mind that it may be what I have to do (my wife is applying pressure to clear some of the space in the attic). Do you sell your parts on eBay or in the local press?

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

chub_tor

I do not sell on EBay much these days as the fees are over the top and to be honest it has gone from an auction site to little more than a shopping website.

No, another forum I am a long term member off has a thriving marketplace. Once a member has posted a certain amount of posts/threads and has acquired a reasonable rating then the marketplace becomes available. Some great bargains to be had and a good place to sell your unwanted components. In fact I have a couple of cases a load of cherry MX key-caps and a mobo to list sometime soon.

Occasionly I have used Gumtree but not often.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat /\0/\

I have a reasonably powerful desktop with a lot of storage that I use for video and photographic work, I am not a gamer, and it is still my machine of preference when I have a lot of typing to do because I like the natural ergonomic keyboard and the 23 inch screen. But it takes up space that arguably could be put to better use

The 17 inch laptop bought 4 years ago is now used exclusively by my wife, it can sit on the floor in the living room under a shelf and takes up little space.

Two years ago I bought a 10" HP netbook so that I could easily carry it on the plane and keep in touch with family in the UK while staying with another part of our family in Texas.

Just over a year ago I got a Samsung 10.1 Tablet which is even easier to transport and I chose it over the Apple equivalent partly on price/performance as it did all that I wanted and with the addition of a bluetooth keyboard it was easy to type long messages.

My wife took such an attraction to my tablet so knowing that she was off to China I gave that one to her while getting the latest Samsung 10.1 Note which has proved to be a joy to use. Dual core fast processor with micro SD additional storage allowing me to watch ripped DVDs while flying.

The laptop and netbook we hardly use now but I would not want to be without either my desktop or my tablet, I need both and incidentally I do have Windows 8 on the desktop which I think is a good OS. It is very fast to boot up and once you get the hang of the Metro screen (I have used Start8 for a virtual Win 7 desktop but I am using it less and less) then Windows 8 is easy to use with a mouse (it does help that my Microsoft mouse has a pivoting tilt wheel for horizontal scrolling).

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

chub_tor

The same thought has crossed my mind recently. Very little variety compared with say a year or perhaps two years ago.

I use my PC as a tool with many functions, though I have never been an IT professional. In the past I built new ones and passed the old ones down the family four offspring and many grand children.

Surprise surprise, ..... no more. The younger ones are deeply into the fancy and expensive gizmos where facebook and multi-purpose phones and other miniaturised gadgets leave even a laptop looking clumsy.

Diminished demand will certainly limit choice of PCs and may increase the price of those who still want it.

Well past my sell-by, I need a comfy stool and a broad desk to accommodate the PC, a decent printer and the other things that clutter behind and connect everything.

The PC is 5 years old but with XP, lots of RAM a big monitor and a a broad canvas of applications, I'm happy to continue as things are, until I have to change.......... to Windows 7

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I stopped upgrading years ago, because it became a non cost saving or required exercise for me (perhaps a age thing?).

Wanting to experiment with Linux, and not wanting to mess up my other computers, including a laptop with Vista that I keep having problems with,I made an offer bid on eBay the other week, which I won by outbidding 17 times. For that I got a 'basic' Vista computer with 250GB hard-drive, 2GB memory a 19" Acer flat screen, new keyboard and new optical mouse for £47.01 plus about £10 petrol money for collection. Well satisfied with that purchase. Could have possibly bid on higher specification machines, but the travel for collection put the damper on considering anything on offer.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

spuds, don't know if you got a Vista DVD but you can still download from MS official direct download links if you need one Heidoc.net Vista Links

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

lotvic- thanks for that. I tried the link but for some reason it would not open, possibly because I have added a new ad-blocker for this website?.

Will give it a try later, thanks again.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

lotvic-Just tried the link again, and got straight in (?), so I have bookmarked it for later.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon,...

IDG UK Sites

Why are people still buying satnavs? Smartphones are the modern satnav

IDG UK Sites

New Star Wars trailer: Watch the VFX-laden teaser for The Force Awakens

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers UPDATED