We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PC advisor forums speed

namtas

Likes # 0

As has been commented on occasions I find that the overall pace of PC Advisor is much slower that most other site which I visit, this is not n earth shattering problem never the less it is noticeable and it does distract the user This became so obvious that I took to trying to find where the problem might be and without much effort I discovered that access was being held back on every click by a programme called scorecardresearch.com. And it was continually sending a message 'waiting for scorecardresearech.com'
A check on scorecardreasearch.com describes it as a tool for market research data to website owners through a mixture of on-line surveys and the use of web beacons. Nothing really unexpected there, however some go so far to describe this programme as a bug or even a virus I wonder if anyone else has noticed this and should we be concerned?

Like this post
csqwared

Likes # 0

I'm using Linux with the Chromium web browser where, as suggested by 'Algerian peter', I turn off Java for this site only. The only drawback seems to be the non-appearance of the 'toolbar' above the topic box enabling bold, italics,etc. Other than that page loading fairly flies along.

Like this post
sunnypete

Likes # 0

Somewhat tardy on my Blackberry Playbook, main thing I don't like on it is the HP ad taking up the top half of the screen on opening...

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Fast enough on FF using NoScript but i do have a pronlem with the page links 123 next taking me to RSS feed page and other places on the site rather than the page of the thread I want.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

since updating a few days to w8 and using chrome pca pages open instantly no lag whatsoever. a joy to visit pca again.

Like this post
Ex plorer

Likes # 0

Havent noticed any lag as yet FF OS Vista.

I found that if I just click under the no 2 for second page on this subject or any other I get facebook/ PCAdvisor waite a few seconds and you will get a new page.

Like this post
Ex plorer

Likes # 0

I also find under previous page 1 and 2 its for PCA tweets but the page has to be scrolled down to the bottom of the page for the hand to show to click and open tweets in the blank area.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

It is fast enough for me using W/8 or W/7 + I/E or Firefox but really poor on an iPad.

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

This site is the only reason I use an ad-blocker. Without one, I find the site is so bad that you can't even scroll up and down smoothly. And that's with high end gaming machine hardware.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I'm resisting the temptation to say the 'this site is free, etc. thing'

Ads have been a rich source of debate, ever since the first one appeared, quite a few years ago, and of course in an ideal world we wouldn't have them - everyone would work for nothing, we would all leave our doors open at night, and there would be Bluebirds over the white cliffs of Dover.

Back in the real world, we have a very expensive server cluster to house and maintain, and quite a few people work many hours to provide the content that fills the other areas of the site, day in and day out. Traffic statistics tell us that those pages are very heavily used, and of course that makes them attractive to advertisers. The ads aren't loaded from our server, they come in from various ad servers, and they account for the waiting time that some people experience.

In truth we find that there's no set pattern to this slow-loading complaint; some people experience it, and others don't. Believe it or not, we do take complaints very seriously, both Matt Egan and I make nuisances of ourselves with the ad department and the web development team on a regular basis. They respond as rapidly as they can when there's a problem, but with a site like ours the situation is constantly changing, it can be very difficult to pin something down to a specific event.

We're looking at the ad question right now, and if we can improve things for you I promise that we will.

Like this post
namtas

Likes # 0

FE

This may be a terminology thing, but the problems that I and obviously others are encountering is not so much from adds as I would identify adds, but from third party programmes such scorecardresearech.com which is listed as a marketing information retrieval tool. In addition I see Outttrain.com another information retrieval programme as well as Eloqua, not sure what they do, their jargon says a lot but tells me nothing.
So whilst I believe that we all accept that adds are part of the joy of PC Advisor forum and pay the bills, are you including these other marketing tools as adds and if scorecardresearch is a bug or even a virus as some believe, are you in fact aware of it?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia