We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PC advisor forums speed

namtas

Likes # 0

As has been commented on occasions I find that the overall pace of PC Advisor is much slower that most other site which I visit, this is not n earth shattering problem never the less it is noticeable and it does distract the user This became so obvious that I took to trying to find where the problem might be and without much effort I discovered that access was being held back on every click by a programme called scorecardresearch.com. And it was continually sending a message 'waiting for scorecardresearech.com'
A check on scorecardreasearch.com describes it as a tool for market research data to website owners through a mixture of on-line surveys and the use of web beacons. Nothing really unexpected there, however some go so far to describe this programme as a bug or even a virus I wonder if anyone else has noticed this and should we be concerned?

Like this post
Algerian peter ™

Likes # 0

I have had this problem for a very very long time.

In the end I use chrome with javascript disabled. I do get a warning

** For full functionality of our forum it is necessary to enable Javascript in your browser. If you're not sure about how to do this you will find easy to understand instructions at: http://www.enable-javascript.com *

At the top of the page BUT the pages do load like greased lightning.

Like this post
Algerian peter ™

Likes # 0

I should add that I have javascript disable d for just THIS website. It is an option that can be found in the settings section of Chrome. You search for javascript and put the webaddress of the site you wish to block.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Chrome with adblock - pages load nearly as fast as other forums.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

Ditto the above!

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

I agree, and I don't think it will be long before we get the 'this site is free/ it's only free because of the adverts/ small price to pay etc etc.

But I find that it's not uncommon for me to have page loading times in excess of a minute, and all because I'm waiting for some advert or other. If it was scripted so the content loaded first then at least I could have something to read while the adverts are loading...

WTM

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

For me the content loads but none of the links are clickable for quite some time until the background add has loaded.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

I find using I.E 9 that after loading it takes about 4-5 seconds before I can click on a page then it's the same for every link, , using Chrome it's as fast as any site on the web.

Like this post
namtas

Likes # 0

I see a delay created as each pages waits to open, Above I mentioned that one problem is scorecardresearech.com but that is only one. There is also a big delay whilst something call Outbrain.com does its business and tells me that it is busy reading images, a further logger is eloqua a marketing tool which I understand is part of the Oracle group.

Like this post
caccy

Likes # 0

I suffer from this as well using FF. Various sites are gathering information while I wa----------------it for the page to load!

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

agree, and I don't think it will be long before we get the 'this site is free/ it's only free because of the adverts/ small price to pay etc etc.

Glad someone else said that.lol

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon,...

IDG UK Sites

Why are people still buying satnavs? Smartphones are the modern satnav

IDG UK Sites

New Star Wars trailer: Watch the VFX-laden teaser for The Force Awakens

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers UPDATED