We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Olympic Committee starting to see sense

Pine Man
Resolved

Likes # 0

Looks like wrestling could be dropped from the Olympics.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/21427455

That gets rid of one waste of time now how about the barbaric 'sport' of boxing?

Lights blue touch paper and stands well back!!

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

What about that 'sport' where they wave bits of ribbon or synchronised drowning or hop skip and jump,what's that all about?

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Chronos

I like the way you're thinking;-)

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I would get rid of the 10,000m steeplechase [for men] ... it's so cruel ... reminds me of The Grand National for humans; maybe it has been banned already, I didn't notice it at last summer's London Games?

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

As long as the new "sport" taking its place isn't golf...

btw amateur boxing is quite safe, the head guards protect against facial damage and cushion some of the blows that can damage the brain. It's also better to watch than the dreadful heavyweight boxing that idiots pay huge sums of money to watch ringside

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Don't forget the Marathon, The high jump, The pole vault, The javelin throwing etc. All quite dangerous sports. Come to think of it why not do away with the Olympics altogether?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"As long as the new "sport" taking its place isn't golf..." 'fraid it is!

The Olympics do seem to be getting a bit bloated, which in turn makes for them to be way overly expensive to run for a lot of cities. I certainly think that a lot of the sports that already have major world championship in their own right which would have an Olympic title win as a definite second best title should be considered for dropping.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Aitchbee

You missed the 10,000m steeple chase, it was run. It is however much safer now, no lamed athletes have had to be put down in my lifetime.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

ooops wrong link, their was the 3000 steeple chase, which proves that with so much happening, how easy it is to forget what events are even in it after only a few months!

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Lets add:

darts and beer drinking (for the plebs)

blathering (for the politicians)

scaremongering (for the journalists)

I'm sure you can think of some more suitable sports to suit everybodiess needs

:P)

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Let's not be naive about this. Whatever the replacement is, it will be something the US is good at, as per beach volleyball. Probably surfing.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features