We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Supermarket Buyers - 2 Faced or what?

wee eddie

Likes # 0

In the last couple of years The Supermarkets and their Buyers have made British Meat Growers (aka Farmers) jump through smaller and smaller hoops to verify the credentials of their animals.

At the same time, they have been going abroad and sourcing cheaper and cheaper supplies of meat for their "Made-Up" products, using the British Farmer's inability to supply competitively as their excuse.

To me, this puts the whole fiasco of Mis-labeling at their door, as their attitude has encouraged petty criminals to purchase stock of dubious parentage.

I think that we're talking "3 (not so) Wise Monkeys" here, trying hard to shift the blame from their own shoulders.

Like this post
namtas

Likes # 0

Apparently their is a slaughter house in Todmorden, West Yorkshire who allegedly also slaughters horses??

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

woodchip

"Looks like it's got back to Basics, From One Mans need "the Customer" Comes another Mans Greed"

That's been the case ever since people first started buying and selling things to each other.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

**namtas

There are quite a few abbatoirs that slaughter horses. Each year in the UK around 5000 horses are legally slaughtered for human consumption. The meat is subsequently exported,mainly to France,Belgium, and Italy.

The abbatoir you mentioned is one of two that were visited today by the Food Standards Agency as part of an investigation into the sources of horsemeat found in burgers and kebabs. The Todmorden one has been closed down temporarily as a result.

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

Does that mean an end to the racist comments. Will you all now stop blaming foreigners.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"The meat is subsequently exported,mainly to France,Belgium, and Italy." ...where they would be a shocked national outcry if it was switched with beef!

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

Will you all now stop blaming foreigners.

No. I'll stop blaming foreigners when it is proven they are not to blame. However I'm happy to spread the blame to domestic culprits.

But I'm also wondering what the rest of europe is making of this. Are they as outraged as we are, or do they take the attitude that the english are kicking off about nothing, after all it's only horsemeat and they cant see what the fuss is about.

WTM

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

WTM has it in a horse chestnut shell.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

It seems initially they wondered what the fuss was about but are now equally concerned about mislabelling - certainly in France http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/feb/11/french-supermarkets-horsemeat-scandal

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"But I'm also wondering what the rest of europe is making of this."

It's being taken very seriously, because it involves mis-labelling, and it looks as though up to 16 EU countries are affected. It's also being taken seriously because a great deal of food is exported to the UK from European companies, and they're worried about the effect it might have on their sales.

Whilst many countries can't understand our emotional aversion to eating horses they're worried about what is beginning to look like a widespread case of fraud.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

"what is beginning to look like a widespread of fraud"

But hasn't that been going on since we joined the EU (Common Market), and possibly one of the many reasons the accounts are not being signed off?.

I was watching the Parliament program on television, and there were some very serious concerns about retailer's and their responsibilities on this and other issues. But what will our politicians or retailer's do about this?.

Not far from where I live, there was a county council testing facility for all sorts of test procedures, run in conjunction with Trading Standards. not only did it do council work, it also did work for the commercial and public sector, with a fee being charged. Due to supposedly government funding restrictions, that establishment was recently closed down, with the loss of jobs and services.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features