We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Papal Abdication

Quickbeam

Likes # 0

The religious implications of this don't matter a jot me me, and many millions more. But I see that the favourites include African and South American candidates, both being hugely over populated poor continents.

I wonder if either of these were to succeed, a new enlightenment towards sheath contraception on health grounds, and the obvious acceptance of the side effect of birth control can be at all contemplated within the Church of Rome for the 21st century and beyond?

Or will they continue with the medieval head in the sand approach?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

The recent bunch of Cardinals, appointed by Benedict, are all of his, and his predecessors ilk - very conservative, so they are likely to elect another of that type, regrettably. I imagine the vast majority of Catholics , certainly in Europe but unfortunately not in Africa,practice birth control in spite of the Pope's objections and priests simply ignore their "sins".It seems ridiculous to me (as a non catholic)that the hierarchy are so stuck in the past on birth control, married priests (unless poached from the C of E), and women priests, never mind same sex marriage. No wonder church attendances are falling.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"But I see that the favourites include African and South American candidates, both being hugely over populated poor continents."

Africa definitely has a population and poverty problem. South America has a good deal of poverty, but it's actually fifth in the population table, coming below Africa, Asia, North America and Europe. The population of Europe is almost double that of South America.

I have no idea what position a new Pope might take with regard to contraception, but I'll guarantee that it will be nowhere near the liberal attitude that millions of Catholics might want.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Let me rephrase to read, "both continents have huge numbers of their population living in dire poverty".

I suppose that's why I'm not a professional writer and you are.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Will have to get new glasses I thought you were trying to remove your paypal account.

Maybe now is the time to get someone much younger for the job.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Younger than 70?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Younger than 60 maybe.

Someone that is going to be about for a longish time while their minds are still alert and not decaying by age like a lot of us as we get older.

Older and wiser comes to mind but only if you can still remember.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

"Younger than 60 maybe"

No chance; an organisation, the top of which is dominated by old men in frocks, who do not allow women priests or married priests, will elect one of their kind. I wonder what would happen in the unlikely event of a vote by their flock? Again no chance. You only have to look at the history of cover ups, the Magdalene Laundries to see how out of date they are.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

... Father Dougal Maguire [of Craggy Island], Bono & Richard Dawkins are all outsiders ... but a Scottish Pope is looking a good bet at double carpets! [33/1].

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

john bunyan

All the more reason to get someone younger but as you say it probably won't happen.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 review: Great if you like big, expensive phones

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015