We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Papal Abdication

Quickbeam

Likes # 0

The religious implications of this don't matter a jot me me, and many millions more. But I see that the favourites include African and South American candidates, both being hugely over populated poor continents.

I wonder if either of these were to succeed, a new enlightenment towards sheath contraception on health grounds, and the obvious acceptance of the side effect of birth control can be at all contemplated within the Church of Rome for the 21st century and beyond?

Or will they continue with the medieval head in the sand approach?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

and hopefully a younger Pope will see the sense in selling off the Vatican riches to buy food and build farms and equip villages to feed the starving millions that the Catholic Missionaries helped to create. It would give the people back their human dignity to have the resources and equipment to once again be self sustaining and be able to survive during periods of draught.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

lotvic

and hopefully a younger Pope will see the sense in selling off the Vatican riches...

Don't hold your breath on that one.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

'In 1994 Pope John Paul II spoke infallibly when he ruled out the possibility of women ever being ordained'

I caught part of a discussion between two Catholics about that. The progressive maintained that JP2 wasn't speaking infallibly because of some esoteric term I didn't understand. I just checked and the term was 'ex cathedra'. Google took me to the Wikipedia page about infallibility that has one of those 'neutrality of this article is disputed' banners.

It's good to know that Catholics are focussed on the real problems of the world

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Is this 'ex cathedra' thing the same as the general female infallibility?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"The progressive maintained that JP2 wasn't speaking infallibly because of some esoteric term I didn't understand. I just checked and the term was 'ex cathedra'".

Which is interesting,because I have always understood that when'ex cathedra' is used in connection with a papal pronouncement it means that the Pope was speaking infallibly - defining Catholic dogma.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

FE

The argument was about whether he was speaking ex cathedra when he said what he said about women.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Ex Cathedra implies he is God's conduit to the world. What a lot of twaddle. Old men in frocks deciding women are 2nd class, disallowing birth control, married priests, never mind equal sex marriage. Another if his ilk will be chosen - the electorate is confined to those who think like him. The hypocrisy of the whole issue is astounding - few western Catholics obey the birth control rule and are not admonished, there has been a shocking cover up over child abuse and Magdaline Laundries yet the whole election process takes no account of all this, thinking that the world will change.

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

There are some very strong words out there today. If you are not a member of the club do not worry about the rules.

FE as I know how old you are and you appear to be a fair man with wide ranging opinions and interests if you were a Cardinal would you make a good Pope ? Or are you too old ?

I have met many young men with old heads on their shoulders but some are old women in their twenties. Late middle age would be my choice but, like John Bunyan, I have no interest apart from hoping that any new Pope makes an attempt to deal with the ills that beset his church and affect the outside world.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

"Ex Cathedra" To me it sounds more like an excuse to have a dictatorship.

Like this post
Graham*

Likes # 0

I may have been considered for the post come Christmas. Overheard at the Vatican "It will be a cold day before he gets it".

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...