We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Papal Abdication

Quickbeam

Likes # 0

The religious implications of this don't matter a jot me me, and many millions more. But I see that the favourites include African and South American candidates, both being hugely over populated poor continents.

I wonder if either of these were to succeed, a new enlightenment towards sheath contraception on health grounds, and the obvious acceptance of the side effect of birth control can be at all contemplated within the Church of Rome for the 21st century and beyond?

Or will they continue with the medieval head in the sand approach?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Aitchbee

That's a sin...

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I think that there MUST be [now] many 'youngish' Cardinals who have a modern approach to everyday life which encompasses 'family planning methods', who are 'at this moment in time' regarded as conservative in their outlook[s], but may, if elected as Pope next month, turn out to be ... a Godsend [for the Catholic Church], with liberating policies on sexual health and contraception, and so influence many millions of people, for the betterment of mankind.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

I had a chuckle, yesterday. I don't know if it was coincidence or quick thinking by the producer but Jeremy Vine's Radio2 programme started with KC and the Sunshine Band's 'Give it up'.

That's about the only thing that has had me smiling, mind.

There's a lot of double standards going on. I've heard, on various programmes; that abortion is always murder, that child abuse by clergy was a minor problem that's all sorted out, that the question of women priests is settled and will never be brought up again, that more people go to church than vote and that's without all the hate-filled homophobia.

These days, we're used to Christians responding to criticism or mockery by saying 'You wouldn't dare say that about Islam'.

But it works the other way. If Muslims had been talking about, say, why cutting off hands is a fair punishment, or why a raped wife should be executed for adultery there would be outrage. So, why can Catholics get away with spreading hate and lies?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

"So, why can Catholics get away with spreading hate and lies?" They don't get away with it as far as I am aware.

Going back to a previous post not agreeing with or understanding homosexuality doesn't automatically equate to hate-filled homophobia. Do you have theophobia?

I'm not a Catholic and there are many things that they do that I don't understand or agree with.

I do hope that they choose a younger person with a more liberal attitude.

Back to the original post I wasn't aware that heads in sand was medieval or is this a variant of hair shirt?

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

Woolwell

'They don't get away with it as far as I am aware.'

Really. I haven't heard of any outcry about some of the things that have been broadcast by the BBC in the past 24 hours.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Aitchbee

Bono should definitely be an outsider as he's not a Catholic, he was raised Church of Ireland...

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

...Dickie Dawkins' odds are 666/1 ...

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I would [jolly well] think that the majority of the Roman Catholic priests in Scotland and in Italy will be more concerned with the outcome of tonight's big match between Celtic & Juventas.

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

I am not a Catholic, Lord forbid, but electing a young man as Pope could cause a problem. As Popes, normally, stay in post until they die they could have the same Pope for forty years or more, best to elect an older man with a young outlook.

From what I read the present Pope has selected Cardinals to suit his style which does not give much hope for the liberal teaching that the RC World desperately needs.

I was once told always to fly with Old Pilots - but not too old.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

flycatcher1

In 1994 Pope John Paul II spoke infallibly when he ruled out the possibility of women ever being ordained and furthermore decreed that Catholics should not even talk about the issue any more.

Which seems to me to provide the perfect justification - if one was needed - for electing a younger and more progressive man to be the next Pope.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Windows 10 is even more like Mac OS X, and not just because it's another OS Ten