We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Do you think you might have eaten horse meat?

WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

Based on the recent revelations on what has been contaminated, (Findus) I think it probable that I have. I've no objections to the consumption, and have deliberately done so in the past, but I for one find this disturbing, as if the perpetrators (and there is no doubt in my mind that this is a deliberate long term act) have mislabelled meat then they would have no scruples about passing off meat that was unfit for human consumption also as fresh meat.

Does anyone else think they have eaten this mislabelled food, or feel this way?

WTM

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Jock 1e

If you could prove harm, maybe a claim might succeed eg if "Bute" (the horse drug, not your beautiful island!) could be proved to have been in a product and expert evidence showed you had been harmed, then a case may be viable. Otherwise I suspect you are only entitled to a refund or replacement on the grounds that the product - beefburger, or whatever, was not of the product description in that it contained unlabelled horse.The sellers and suppliers may well be liable for the false labelling but I suspect that prosecutions should and maybe will be brought by Trading Standards, since, as you say they should check their goods and suppliers.

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

Certainly 100% have eaten horse meat. Ate many years ago when A fast food palce called Dine away in Heston served it as burgers.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"Yes, you can see coarse ground meat but it could as easily be coarse ground horse as beef"

Quite true although it doesn't unduly worry me on account that I don't suffer from cute horse syndrome. And it does seem to be restricted to all the economy ranges which I think taste awful anyway.

I either make my own or keep a few M&S or similar premium brand ready meals for quick use in the freezer which tend to headline the label with a specific breed of beef. If any of these is found to have non-beef traces there will truly be a collapse in consumer confidence.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

I have an acquaintance who works for a government agency. Based on what he has told me I predict the horsemeat source will turn out to be very close to home and involves the sort of people who are involved in illegal fuel laundering.

Like this post
Picklefactory

Likes # 0

Bingalau

"I too have eaten horse in the past having got a taste for it during the war when it was fed to dogs on a farm where I worked."

I hope you weren't depriving those poor doggys of their hard earned dinner!!!

Or were you in disguise as a basset hound?

;o)

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Yes maybe Tesco Burgers its been going on that long that no one knows

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

Thank goodness for the NHS and this entirely rational explanation of the phenylbutazone situation.

When it was used as a drug for humans side effects occurred in about 1 in 30,000 patients. That's very, very rare.

The fear about 'bute' is being driven by either a failure to understand or deliberately ignoring how drugs work.

'Bute' is, generally, metabolized within 8 hours. A horse treated with it would, therefore, have little or none left after that time.

Drugs, also, cost money so the chance of a horse, known to be on its way to slaughter, receiving 'bute' within 8 hours of slaughter are further diminished.

The chance of there being any bute in horsemeat, no matter how criminally procured, is small and the chance of anyone suffering harm as a result is, almost certainly, much lower than the 1 in 30,000 found at therapeutic doses.

The reason for discontinuing 'bute' in humans was that other drugs offered as good pain relief without the side effects. If no other NSAIDs were available 'bute' would still be in use in humans.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Picklefactory. It was my job to feed the dogs and as it smelled good to me as a kid I saw no reason why they should get all the good stuff. It was mainly lean and because of rationing we seldom had proper meat. I guess the grown ups gave us the rubbishy bits. Even these days I have heard of pensioners buying pet food to use themselves because it is cheaper. I think pets never had anything but scraps from the table when I was a youngster. Those farm dogs were lucky as they were working dogs and well looked after.

Like this post
Grey Goo

Likes # 0

We used to jokingly call hors d'oeuvres horses doovries,now they probably are.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"I would think that if any member of the public decided to take the supermarkets to court they would probably win their case.Whether or not they would get compensation I don't know"

If you think you're buying beef, because the food label says so, but in reality you buy horse-meat, you can certainly accuse the retailer of wrongly describing the goods, but...

The retailer will say that it had no knowledge of the substitution,and would produce evidence to show that it specified beef when ordering from its supplier. It would demonstrate that all such products were removed from sale,once the problem was known, and that by doing so it acted responsibly. It would claim that there is no evidence that eating horse-meat has injured anyone's health.

You might win technically, but you certainly wouldn't be compensated, because you wouldn't be able to demonstrate a loss. You simply ate meat that was different from that advertised.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'