We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Do you think you might have eaten horse meat?

WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

Based on the recent revelations on what has been contaminated, (Findus) I think it probable that I have. I've no objections to the consumption, and have deliberately done so in the past, but I for one find this disturbing, as if the perpetrators (and there is no doubt in my mind that this is a deliberate long term act) have mislabelled meat then they would have no scruples about passing off meat that was unfit for human consumption also as fresh meat.

Does anyone else think they have eaten this mislabelled food, or feel this way?

WTM

Like this post
OTT_B

Likes # 0

There was a juxtaposition of note on the BBC website a few days ago; a headline on one side of the page read something like "horse meat may have been in food for years", and on the other side "talking to Shergar's kidnappers"

Oh dear. Anyway....

Despite all the headlines, I'm actually quite glad that the public-at-large are taking all in their stride. I can think of quite a number of well covered 'health' stories that have been blown out of all proportion. Maybe that's just the point here though. There's no real health concern. You may have been misled, defrauded or conned, but there has been no real risk to health. And it's good that the press-at-large haven't been making a point that there could be, no matter how small that chance - 1:30 000 if the meat was affected and you had sufficient intake of Bute, and you were a susceptible person, to paraphrase fourm member.

I've likely eaten horse meat, albeit unwittingly. But here's the point: if I had been in a restaurant and seen horse meat on the menu, I probably would have ordered it. The same still applies. The difference now though, is that I'm looking for it.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

I've eaten horse, I've also eaten zebra, kangaroo and wildebeest.

It's all meat, and it's all edible.

The thought that there may be quite dangerous levels of veterinary drugs in the horse meet is a little worrying, but I'm sure our digestive systems can cope, after all as a child I'm sure we all eat mud at some point...

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

alan14

'dangerous levels of veterinary drugs'

'Bute' is not a veterinary drug exclusively. It was used in humans so a lot is known about it and how very rarely it causes problems. And, it is extremely unlikely that the levels would be 'dangerous'.

as OTT_B says, most people are shrugging off the horsemeat story so the scare-mongers have been forced to try and find another angle.

Like this post
farbinjudder

Likes # 0

How about this folks, (just a bit of amusement so don't send me to the glue factory over it)

A burger's a burger of course of course and no one can talk to a burger of course unless of course that burger contains the famous Mr Ed.

Go right to the source and ask the horse he'll give you the answer that you endorse I know he'd say if he was asked Eat the cows instead! Moooo!!!

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

I like many of you have eaten horse meat and I liked it. What I don't like is the bland tasteless burgers and minced meat and tough old steak we get from supermarkets. If you want good quality then you need to buy from a butcher, a local one with a good reputation. There are also some bigger scale suppliers usually Scottish that will do fast delivery in dry ice packaging, superb UK produced steaks and burgers made from cows. the problem is as always cost so it has now become a special treat to have a decent bit of meat. I eat the crap my wife gets from the supermarket cos that's what we do.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

The Chief Medical Officer has said that 'At the levels of bute that have been found, a person would have to eat 500 to 600 burgers a day that are 100% horse meat to get close to consuming a human’s daily dose'

And that human dose causes problems in about 1 in 30,000 people.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

I get my occasional purchases of beef burgers from my local butcher, sometimes I have had to wait while he finishes making them if he has had a run on them. I must admit to double standard though, when I am at a agricultural show I eat anything that is going providing I can see it being cooked.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

It appears that the horse contamination is more widespread than originally thought

Horse byproduct

(although it might not come as big a surpise to some).

WTM

Like this post
nickf

Likes # 0

If your eating 500-600 burgers a day , I think a little bit of BUTE is the last thing you need to be worrying about !

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Shock Horror!!!

Horse meat is found in school meals. The parents of Henrietta and Tarquin are outraged said a source at lunchtime today.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia