We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Do you think you might have eaten horse meat?

WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

Based on the recent revelations on what has been contaminated, (Findus) I think it probable that I have. I've no objections to the consumption, and have deliberately done so in the past, but I for one find this disturbing, as if the perpetrators (and there is no doubt in my mind that this is a deliberate long term act) have mislabelled meat then they would have no scruples about passing off meat that was unfit for human consumption also as fresh meat.

Does anyone else think they have eaten this mislabelled food, or feel this way?

WTM

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Like you and many others I may have eaten horse meat without knowing it. I've certainly eaten it deliberately in the past.

It doesn't worry me that I may have eaten horse meat instead of beef, but the potential you've mentioned - of contaminated meat finding its way into processed products - does concern me. That said, I don't know how anyone could devise a foolproof method of preventing it. It's easy to say that our government should introduce monitoring, but in truth it would be almost impossible to produce a system that worked efficiently.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I read something in the paper the other week when all this first blew up, the columnist asked if the legal requirement of beef in a beef burger was only 46% "what did we think the rest of an economy burger consisted of?". My view is that an economy burger just a flat beef sausage, don't expect more.

With a decent premium burger you can visibly see the course ground meat, with a layby rat burger, you only see a flat grey frozen grill pate.

As for eating horse meat, it's sort of halfway between beef and venison. But in this country there is a cuddly rabbit notion towards horses.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

The problem is a technical one, to get a representative sample of a pallet of meat you would have to either sample every animal or at least the square root + one of the number of carcasses or sample it after it has been minced. Then you have to run the test which could take several days and tell the testing apparatus what you are looking for.

Likewise the 'problem' of Bute in horse carcasses, testing for drug residues takes a long time and is expensive.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Deliberately, yes. Accidentally I don't think so.

The only burgers I ever eat are veniburgers from a nearby deer farm, and I'm not a pasta person so spag bol and lasagne are non starters.

On the other hand I'm very partial to a plate of mince and tatties so it is possible.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

I'm afraid it's something we'll just have to get used to, part of the 'global' nature of food commerce - sellers will buy from wherever is cheapest - so you will get 'dodgy' dealers all over the world.

As with other things, the criminals will always find ways to circumvent the authorities and so, short of stopping all cross-border food movements, there is a limit to what's possible.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I used to work in a major meat manufacturing company, and we slaughtered our own pigs, and bought beef, lamb carcasses from inspected slaughterhouses. No way would it have been possible for horse meat to have entered our food chain. I suspect that this story will run for a while. First it shows that some companies - Findus, Aldi etc have been too trusting of their contract manufacturers. Secondly there are two risks 1. I heard that in Ireland alone up to 70000 horses have had false "chips" (which are meant to hold the animal's history),inserted . Some of these may be "condemned". Then there is the slight risk of "Bute" as mentioned earlier. Horse meat as such is healthier than beef - less saturated fat etc., but if you buy a "beef" product, you should not be supplied with horse.Heads need to roll in the Quality control departments concerned, and there is no doubt a criminal input here. This will take a while to sort out but hopefully the controls will be tightened up all round.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"With a decent premium burger you can visibly see the course ground meat"

Yes, you can see coarse ground meat but it could as easily be coarse ground horse as beef. That's the problem - you can't tell what's in a processed food without proper laboratory tests, and those would need to be carried out at each stage of the meat's progress from the abbatoir to the factory which packs the finished product for sale.

In between those two points there may be several stages, and the meat may have travelled a thousand miles or more from its source. It's a monitoring nightmare, and although it might be viable to do it with high-cost items it might increase the eventual selling price of the very products which are most likely to contain horsemeat - the supermarket budget ranges - by an unacceptable amount. In the end the consumer will pay.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

"In between those two points there may be several stages, and the meat may have travelled a thousand miles or more from its source. It's a monitoring nightmare, and although it might be viable to do it with high-cost items it might increase the eventual selling price of the very products which are most likely to contain horsemeat - the supermarket budget ranges - by an unacceptable amount. In the end the consumer will pay."

I doubt if there would be a huge difference. The majority of these products do not contain any horse - the Findus and Aldi examples , and others, are still the minority and many suppliers have tight control over their supply chain yet still compete. Maybe there is a market for "Horseburgers" at a lower price?

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Slightly off subject, I am wondering why all this good food is probably going to be wasted. Could these perfectly good Horse-burgers and other wrongly labelled food, not be used to feed some of the starving in this world? I read somewhere that ten million burgers were taken from the shelves of various supermarkets in this country alone. I would have been quite willing to have bought some of these for my own consumption. I too have eaten horse in the past having got a taste for it during the war when it was fed to dogs on a farm where I worked.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Neigh not me never touch the stuff.

Just wondering if those companys and supermarkets that sold the meat are liable to millions of claims against them by members of the public that have actually eaten them.

I would think that if any member of the public decided to take the supermarkets to court they would probably win their case.Whether or not they would get compensation I don't know

No use them saying they did not know it is up to them to check all foods and goods before sale.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

O2 to sell exclusive red HTC One M8

IDG UK Sites

iTunes 12 release date & rumours: When is iTunes 12 coming out?

IDG UK Sites

Welcome to the upgrade cycle - you'll never leave

IDG UK Sites

Why smartphone screens are getting bigger