We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Pardon my ignorance,

Macscouse
Resolved

Likes # 0

as I am no gardener, but today, whilst travelling in the hills behind Nairn, I saw a foxglove in full bloom. It was at the side of a road about 200m above sea level, in a mature woodland area. The temperature in the area has not been above 5C for a long time. Before Grandad asks, No, I hadn't been on the hard stuff. Is it normal for these flowers to bloom so early? PS also saw a beautiful stoat in ermine strolling along a road.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Is it normal for these flowers to bloom so early?"

It certainly isn't as far as I'm aware. I have foxgloves in the garden, and the earliest I can remember them flowering is around the middle of May.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Perhaps the local trolls have central heating.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

Normal? No.

Possible? Yes.

There may be very local circumstances that caused this plant to flower. It may have been in danger of some sort. Plants exist to reproduce so, if they 'feel' threatened, they will sometimes rush to try and produce seed. I've seen a giant hogweed flower when only about a foot high because it was getting late in the season.

If you saw this from a road, it might be that the verge it was on was cut last year preventing it from flowering and it has taken the lengthening days as its chance to get into flower.

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

Macscouse, ah, you found that plastic foxglove bodyguard, I carefully placed it there last year when I saw them being threatened by a determined wave of bull-rushes ;o}}

Like this post
Macscouse

Likes # 0

FM Seems reasonable, the council hedge masher was around there recently, carefully pruning any hedge, branch, fence post, or tree trunk less than 2 feet in circumference. The area always looks like a war zone after their visits.

Brumas, your scientifically reasoned response seems to be slightly awry; it does seem to be some form of bull, but rushes is not the word I would use ;-)

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Do you have any witnesses that you hadn't been on the juice?

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

Macscouse Guilty as charged M'Lud ;o}

Like this post  
Macscouse

Likes # 0

Bing.alau Only the LHO and the two pink effelumps in the back seats.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Two not very reliable then?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Foxes wearing gloves, stoats wearing fancy Royal fur coats, it'll be the cat among the pigeons next.. this thread is going to the dogs.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 launch event as it happened: Read our Windows 10 launch live blog - find out first as...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK