We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

The marvels of modern technology

Forum Editor
Resolved

Likes # 0

are so many, and come so rapidly, one after another, that it's easy to become a little blasé about them.

I'm probably right at the head of the queue where that's concerned, but just occasionally something happens that brings home to me how astonishing some of our advances are. That happened just now, when I read about how Nasa's Curiosity Mars rover has calmly drilled a hole in a rock on a planet that's currently around 60 million miles from earth, and sent us a high-definition image of the hole to prove it.

The technologies leading up to this seemingly simple act are even more amazing when you remember that it is just over 100 years since the first flight of a heavier than air machine.

The dust from the hole is now being analysed, and soon we'll know how that rock was formed, and when.

Something to wonder at over the Sunday morning bacon and eggs.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Never again will we take a hole in the road for granted!

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

A 99p 'drill dust collector' attachment would be an effective and efficient solution on Martian vertical rocky features.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Aitchbee

Curiosity has a far more efficient dust collector built into the drill. It automatically retrieves dust from the hole and passes it back into the Rover's onboard laboratory for analysis.

Nobody's going to worry about a bit of dust spillage on an uninabited planet where there is lots of dust lying around anyway.

Like this post
nickf

Likes # 0

Nobody's going to worry about a bit of dust spillage on an uninabited planet where there is lots of dust lying around anyway. you obviously haven't met my wife !

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

What marvel of technology did you use to do that with the text editor?

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

nickf. Nice to know that you are also likely to get dusted if you don't move. That makes two of us.

FE. Maybe it's all a con and really takes place down in Mexico or some other dusty, red desert, a bit like the supposed landing on the moon? (TIC)

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Houston we have a conspiracy theory...

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

It's a nice neat hole though isn't it? When it fills up with mud will it be a black hole in space?

Seriously, I think the money could have been better spent on Earth improving the lives of its inhabitants. No doubt the answer will be that the money spent on technology now will improve our chances and the lives of earthlings later on. I suppose it is a matter of priority. But I think they have got their priorities wrong.

Like this post
muddypaws

Likes # 0

At leat they didn't do it in rush hour.

Like this post
muddypaws

Likes # 0

'least'

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia replaces budget Lumia 520 with 530: Release date, price and specs

IDG UK Sites

Live Blog: Apple financial results, record June quarter, 35.2m iPhones sold, $37.4b revenue

IDG UK Sites

Welcome to the upgrade cycle - you'll never leave

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer