We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

The marvels of modern technology

Forum Editor
Resolved

Likes # 0

are so many, and come so rapidly, one after another, that it's easy to become a little blasé about them.

I'm probably right at the head of the queue where that's concerned, but just occasionally something happens that brings home to me how astonishing some of our advances are. That happened just now, when I read about how Nasa's Curiosity Mars rover has calmly drilled a hole in a rock on a planet that's currently around 60 million miles from earth, and sent us a high-definition image of the hole to prove it.

The technologies leading up to this seemingly simple act are even more amazing when you remember that it is just over 100 years since the first flight of a heavier than air machine.

The dust from the hole is now being analysed, and soon we'll know how that rock was formed, and when.

Something to wonder at over the Sunday morning bacon and eggs.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Only the other evening, there was a program on television about the technology being used in building the 'bionic' person. Was very interesting on what is being done, and being coordinated around the globe at this present time. But it also brings in the considerations, there are possibly more seemingly simpler things in life, that are just as baffling and have no solutions yet?.

Going on the 'rover', I recall the days of the very first 'moon buggy', and a company that I was involved with at the time, used to offer the 'moon buggy' for £1/US$2 in their sales catalogues. Condition of sale, was that you had to arrange collection and transportation 'at your expense' of the item. This advertising 'idea' was actually cleared with the appropriate authorities at the time. Not sure now, if the sales offer is still available :O)

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I think NASA just drilled that neat little hole so's they could successfully install a 'Stars & Stripes' flag pole :o]

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

Bingalau

The only thing that distinguishes humans from all the other animals is that we think about how things work and why.

The day we stop wanting to explore our universe, is the day there is no point in us being here.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Perhaps I am alone here, but I can never understand how the universe seems to have priority over the land and sea base already here, which is far under explored in some regions?.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

I also have been hooked by this project, as FE says the achievement in sending a man made object 60 million miles, landing it into a hostile environment and it performing to specification is nothing short of amazing!

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Bing.alau but exploration be it space or on this world brings benefits to nearly every one, you only have to look at the every day things that you use.

Just have a look here enter link description here then tell me that money has not been well spent.

You only have to look at just one thing that has made a tremendous difference and that is the Sat Nav, taken for granted now as an every day item.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Almost forgot about this side benefit about space exploration enter link description here

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

It is amazing what they can do now and yet they still can't cure cancer.

What it cost to put the Rover on Mars is chicken feed compared to what has been spent trying to cure Cancer.

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

No question, an outstanding achievement, but so is this and equally mind blowing.

It could have turned out to be an expensive flop, but instead, was awe inspiring. It's hard (if not impossible) to imagine infinity.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Seriously, I think the money could have been better spent on Earth improving the lives of its inhabitants."

You could say that about almost any form of exploration - the conquest of Everest, for example, or the first trip to the North Pole, or the exploration of the ocean depths, or the search for the source of the Nile, and so on.

Homo sapiens is an incredibly inquisitive species, and the only one to exhibit the 'because it's there' ethos. We want to know about things, and it drives us on. Without that explorative spark we would not have many of the things that enrich our lives.

I hope we never stop exploring, it makes us what we are.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

New iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...