We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Greetings

Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Xin Nian Kuai Le. :)

Gong Hei Fard Choy. :)

Xing Ni Ju Yi. :)

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

and a Happy New Year to you Chronos and to one and all :)

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

One of the great wonders of the modern world is to to be in China when a New year arrives.

Chinese people are obsessed about being with their families at this time, and modern young Chinese often work far from their parents and other relatives. Because of the Chinese employment legislation huge numbers of these people are not allowed to take up permanent residence in the towns and cities where they're employed, so their relatives have to stay in their countryside homes.

When New year comes this results in what has been called the biggest mass migration ever seen on earth - upwards of 200 million people are on the move, back to spend the holiday with their families.

It's quite something to see if you happen to be in a big city when it happens, as I was on one occasion.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

My daughter was born in Singapore (yes I know it is not in China) on Chinese New Year. The Chinese midwife told us she was going to have a very long, happy life. She did not mention the word rich though and so far she has been correct. My daughter always has a party to celebrate Chinese new Year although she knows it is a moveable celebration then she has another one on her actual birth date of February the 24th.

I hear some schools are now teaching Mandarin and think it is not before time. They should drop the French lessons and teach a language which will be much more useful. I'm also a bit doubtful whether the heading to this thread is spelled correctly. No doubt I could check up on the proper way to spell the greeting on the net, but someone else will do that quicker than I can.

Learning the language will require an excellent memory I think, especially if you have to learn all the characters because someone told me there are thousands of them.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I was noticing in yesterdays late evening news, that the Chinese government had stressed that the firework displays had to be 'limited and restricted' now and in the future, because of pollution. The news report seemed to say, that this years firework displays were better than ever?.]

I suppose a governmental request will apply in the UK eventually, due to the increase of fireworks displays we are experiencing here. The corner shop, is under new management, lets have a firework display?.

"One of the great wonders of the modern world is to be in China when a New year arrives". This can apply to any country that as its celebrations, I have been in Hong Kong in a Chinese New Year, and made many new friends. The same elsewhere, when there have been celebrations, but the only problem, many of those new friends have long been forgotten, but not the sights and scenes of the day.

At least the local Take-away are giving out freebies to its regular customer's. Another bright red Chinese year of the snake calendar on the wall!.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Bing.alau remark about languages made me think about this. Many school's in the UK now have many children who perhaps have English as a second language, and the children actually born and use English as their mother tongue are being taught other languages by their school-friends. I know its happening around my neck of the woods, and I believe elsewhere.

Coming back to learning the various dialects of Chinese. I was once on a Star Ferry trip, when two English people were in deep conversation with some Chinese people. The proud moment of that day, was when I was informed by a Chinese friend, that the two English people were word perfect.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Bing.alau

How else do you spell greetings then?

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

My wife is currently in Shanghai visiting our granddaughter who lives there teaching English in one of the technical colleges. I get emails every day and today's was full of stories of crowded streets and fireworks that went on throughout last night. Today they plan to visit one of the temples where they are expecting to see families offering gifts of food to there ancestors. I am looking forward to some great photographs when she returns in a weeks time.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

????

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

????

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

So can someone tell me why this site does not allow me to post Happy New year in Chinese characters then? Hence the two posts above, for some unknown reason the characters were transformed into question marks.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more