We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is York Minster a Catholic church?

Kev.Ifty

Likes # 0

Richard the third was a Catholic wasnt he?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 1

No, it isn't, and yes, he was.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 1

York Minster is no longer a Catholic Cathedral, but it was, off and on, until the reign of Queen Elizabeth the First.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

There's plenty of dead Catholics buried in C of E Cathedrals, as most of the buildings were constructed well before the Reformation

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

The question is not relevant to the Richard III story as the Chapter of York Minster has said he should be buried in Leicester.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

alan14, I'm relieved to hear that, I was worrying that some of them might still be alive..

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

forum member

I agree re the decision to Leicester Cathedral, as I posted at 4.25 yesterday on the other thread. However, would the Dean and Chapter agree to a Roman Catholic service there , and would a Catholic bishop be willing or allowed to conduct it? As Richard 3rd was a Catholic, it would seem correct for an RC funeral. This could test the so - called ecumenical policy that both churches profess.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

Of course the remains could always be shipped out to the Vatican City for a proper Catholic ceremony! Might heal any rift left over from Henry VIII.

Like this post
Kev.Ifty

Likes # 0

I heard how evil he was.. He never chopped his Wifes head off though.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Quite a few kings at that period arranged for relatives to be bumped off! Some say his crimes were exaggerated by the succeeding Tudors. It will be interesting to see if the RC fraternity claim the right to conduct a service, and what the response will be. It has always saddened me that people who profess to believe in the same God can be so incredibly full of hate for each other.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Perhaps to put further consideration to the question as to where Richard III remains will end up, then perhaps look no further than the Ministry for Justice who have categorically stated that its for the University of Leicester to decide.

The licence granted for the exhumation required certain relevant information from the applicant (University of Leicester), and part of that information covered where any remains would go. Richard Taylor, deputy registrar at the University of Leicester, as stated that the remains will be reinterred at Leicester Cathedral. The licence states that this as to be done no later than August 31, 2014.

The next move, is the Cathedral will consult with various bodies, including English Heritage and Cathedrals Fabric Commission of England before any work to alter the interior of Leicester Cathedral can be completed.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3 deals: Find the best contract for your new iPad

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...