We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Oooops that's torn IT for a lot of peoples

wiz-king
Resolved

Likes # 0

Anti-virus update problems for XP users

• Tags:
  • xp
Like this post
muddypaws

Likes # 0

Well it didn't affect my XP at all. Perhaps it was overnight. Link doesn't state when it occurred.

Link to twitter says it was yesterday.

Like this post
Phil Ocifer

Likes # 0

LoL - Catch 22 :)

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

**"Kaspersky told its customers: Please disable the web AV component of your protection policy for your managed computers. It then told them to go the repositories section, download an update and re-enable the protection."**

Those would be the customers who couldn't connect to the web to get the update.

I wonder how the company contacted its customers. Presumably it was by email.

Like this post  
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I find it so infuriating when my Norton security update involves [typically] a 100mb download every couple of months or so, 'cos it 'eats up' my monthly 1GB allowance ... about £1, in monetary terms.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

Aitchbee

I couldn't live with a 1GB allowance, I dumped my 40 GB in favour of unlimited, sadly I find that some months I don't even reach 40GB!

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Aitchbee , do you think you need Norton?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

rdave13 .... it came free with the beta testing forum, last year, but is probably more [security] than I need. It's was worth-while using it, though.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

rdave13

NOBODY needs Norton, and no one who has ever tried to uninstall it will agree!

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

actually that "no one" should read "anyone" lol!

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

that says a lot, why me along with a lot stick to free avast

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...