We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What Do They Hope To Gain By Getting Married?

Bing.alau
Resolved

Likes # 0

Is there any monetary gain when homosexuals obtain the right to get married? Or is there some other gains that I know nothing about? In other words why do they want it so badly? Surely they should be content with things as they are now?

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

Aitchbee

Victor Borge did indeed make a very good living out of punctuation! But he was hilarious with it!

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Marriage services can be religious, if performed in a church, or civil if performed in a register office, both are equally valid in the eyes of the law and I for one am not sure exactly what the LGBT community is asking for with their request for equality in marriage nor quite what the government is offering with this new law.

And Woolwell with his statement "I'm far from sure that there are enough legal measures in place to protect those who refuse to conduct same sex marriages." hits the nail on the head. What will happen if a church official refuses to marry a LGBT couple? Is he/she breaking the law? Can the case be taken to the European Court of Human Rights? I see a legal minefield ahead.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

As I understood it, any Church official is legally entitled to opt out of performing Gay Marriage ceremonies.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

Change "is" to "will be" above.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

" any Church official is legally entitled to opt out of performing Gay Marriage ceremonies." But how long before that is challenged with it going all the way to European Court of Human Rights?

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

Any Church official who denies the right to marry, no matter whether Gay or Straight, deserves to be put in front of the European Court of Human Rights.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Isn't there/wasn't there the same sort of carry on over Divorced persons getting married in Church?

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

SillBill Does not everyone have Human Rights or is a one way street?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Here we are, in the 21st century, and there are still people who quite obviously don't get the point that gay people should have the right to be treated in exactly the same way as anyone else.

if they want to live in a civil partnership they can, and now, if they want to live as a legally married couple they can.

What do they get out of it? That's nothing to do with anyone but themselves. I don't have a right to say to a man and woman 'what do you get out of your marriage?' because that's a personal matter for them.

The sooner we stop behaving as though there's something wrong about gay couples wanting to live as others do the better our society will be. The church can remain locked into dogmas that go back a couple of thousand years if it likes, but I prefer to live in the real world, the one that's inhabited by fair-minded people who aren't hypocrites.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

flycatcher1

I have no doubt that the first "Church Official" to be taken to the ECoHR will bleat that HIS Human Rights are being breached in that he is being forced to perform a ceremony which is alien to him (for whatever reason).

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

What's the best smartwatch? 11 iWatch rivals compared in our wearables round-up

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features