We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What Do They Hope To Gain By Getting Married?

Bing.alau
Resolved

Likes # 0

Is there any monetary gain when homosexuals obtain the right to get married? Or is there some other gains that I know nothing about? In other words why do they want it so badly? Surely they should be content with things as they are now?

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

Woolwell

My previous post was based on old knowledge which appears to have been superseded e.g. Civil Partnerships did not confer Next of Kin status, this now appears not to be the case. I stand corrected.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I am glad that our Parliament has passed the Bill.

As someone whose experience of Marriage was nothing less than horrific, I wish all that set sail in that particular boat the best of luck.

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

You may aswell ask "what do "straight" people hope to gain by getting married. More barely-veiled bigotry.

Anyway, it's all over, so maybe we can get to kicking the government over their punitive benefit cuts.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

fm - your post at 7:23pm beginning "What you mean ... " is the example of your 'putting words into other people's mouths'. Bing.alau's reply was in his OWN words ... as it should be.

I hope that is clear [to you].

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

fourm members post at 7.23 consists of all questions, his mistake was in omitting a comma after What.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Joseph Kerr

"Anyway, it's all over" Maybe not if the antiquated House of Lords gets it's way.

House of Lords

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

SillBill - Victor Borge made his living out of commas!

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

And, Mr Bunyan, the meanings of words change all the time. The dictionary definition will (certainly should) now, indeed, change.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

I really don't see what all the fuss is about! As an atheist the religious aspect of marriage is a matter of complete indifference to me. So I really cannot see why a homosexual couple should be denied the same right to get married as a heterosexual couple.

What we choose to call the rite of joining two persons together in a legal union is all just semantics as far as I am concerned. Perhaps the Government can now get on with the important issue of running the country!

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Joseph Kerr

"the meanings of words change all the time". You are right , of course. I am not that bothered either way on this one; if the majority in this country will it, fair enough,

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Very best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers