We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What Do They Hope To Gain By Getting Married?

Bing.alau
Resolved

Likes # 0

Is there any monetary gain when homosexuals obtain the right to get married? Or is there some other gains that I know nothing about? In other words why do they want it so badly? Surely they should be content with things as they are now?

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

Aitchbee

What words was I putting in whose mouth?

I was pointing out what saying homosexuals should be content is asking them to be content about.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I am not particularly bothered either way, but I wish these minority interests would just get on with their lives and stop insisting that the rest of us get involved and give opinions.

One would almost think they are seeking justification.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

morddwyd

'just get on with their lives and stop insisting that the rest of us get involved and give opinions.'

Once parliament has provided for equality between everyone then people will be able to get on with their lives.

I'm not sure that many gay people are taking voxpops in the street to see what people think.

I suspect most of them would be pleased if the 'rest' left them alone and allowed them to live their lives undisturbed.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

What do they hope to gain? - They want to say that they are married rather than being in a partnership.

However civil partnerships are still not open to heterosexuals who live together.

I'm far from sure that there are enough legal measures in place to protect those who refuse to conduct same sex marriages. There should be enough places and people to carry out those marriages without causing difficulties for those who are against.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

fourm member - the problem is that it is perceived that the 'rest' are not allowed to leave their lives undisturbed and rather feel that there is positive discrimination.

Like this post
Algerian peter

Likes # 0

"Is there any monetary gain when homosexuals obtain the right to get married?"

Is it not only for ladies also, lesbians?

and what if if a Mr smith marry's a mr jones. When they are married will they both be mr jones or mr smith or will they still be mr smith and mr jones?

If 2 men or 2 women wish to marry each other then I can see no difference from a civil ceromony in which they now take part.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

There are a number of LEGAL benefits which Marriage confers, unlike a civil partnership which doesn't.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

From Oxford Dictionary:

"Definition of marriage

noun

1the formal union of a man and a woman, typically recognized by law, by which they become husband and wife:"

I also do not mind who does what, with which, or to whom, but to change the meaning of a word is rare, to say the least. Why not invent a new word for the union of two persons of the same sex, rather than hijacking a word that has another meaning? I would be interested to know, in these days of referenda, what the result of one on this issue would be? I wonder how much consultation there has been between MP's and their constituents? Usually MP's vote as they think, but on issues like this, I think there should be consultation.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

SillBill - There are very little legal differences between a civil partnership and a marriage see findlaw.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Algerian Peter - It doesn't matter what they call each other. I know a number of married men and women where the woman has retained her maiden name and is referred to as Miss or more likely Ms. However will one change their name in a gay marriage?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Netflix to introduce price increase: New subcribers to start with

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's new OS X Beta Seed Program: Run pre-release versions of OS X on your Mac

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites

See Moo Studios' new animated advert for Blue Moon beer