We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Another Grammar Question?

Bing.alau
Resolved

Likes # 0

I am beginning to think that maybe it is me. But every time I see the word "as" instead of "Has" I get a little niggle in my mind.

"He as just gone over to the shops" instead of "He has just gone over to the shops". why a little thing upsets me I do not know. Do other people get these feelings?

I know I am not really in to grammar myself, I winced at school when my teacher used the phrase "Subject and Predicate" at the beginning of an English lesson. I still do not know what it means. So why does this irritate me?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 1

"There is a regular user of these forums who always misses the H in has"

and one who liberally sprinkles his posts with incorrectly used apostrophes

and another who calls a screen a screan

and so on,and so on, but so what?

We could all spend our time criticising others for their lack of grammatical knowledge, or their inability to spell correctly, but that person who doesn't know an adjective from a preposition might leave most of us standing when it comes to Windows7 problems.

We're a virtual community, and we probably represent a reasonable cross-section of society. It takes all sorts, as they say, and perhaps we should exhibit a degree of tolerance and understanding to those who, for one reason or another, don't always do things as we would like them done.

Here endeth the lecture.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

"Amen" ...Is that pronounced with an "A" as in the alphabet, or with an "AR"?

I know I am guilty of sprinkling my posts with pars (parentheses may be the correct word) and quotation marks and probably lots of other annoying habits. So "I can't talk" as the saying goes.

I have never heard the saying "Go down the primrose path" but it sounds like a good idea right now.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"I have never heard the saying "Go down the primrose path""

That's because you're thick and uneducated, as you've just admitted, not learned and erudite like what us ex-RAF types are!

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

morddwyd. Very true of course. I bet you have been dying to say that to somebody for years. At least I am aware of my limitations.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Bing.alau

I think we should be tolerant of our RAF friends (my father and mother were both in it, in Bomber and Coastal Command respectively). We ex RM's know the truth, and to quote from another Shakespeare play, we should not "Cry "Havoc" and let slip the dogs of war" - at least, not yet. (Although I remember being bitten by an RAF police dog once whilst testing the security of an RAF base).Mostly the RAF dropped us in the right place - not always though!

Like this post
csqwared

Likes # 0

Taking this a stage further I see on the news tonight (can't find a link) that a school in the North East (Newcastle??) has sent letters home to parents requesting the children don't use slang (i.e. 'nowt'). Personally I have a problem deciding what is 'slang' and what is 'dialect'. Here in GOC, (Yorkshire), 'nowt' would be considered part of the dialect I think, I believe that would go for most of the North East too.

Like this post
VCR97

Likes # 0

csqwared

Agreed. "Nowt" is definitely dialect and not slang.

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

John Bunyan. I am loathe to correct an ex RM but I doubt that your Mother served in the RAF. Jumping out of perfectly serviceable aircraft has possibly knocked you on the head a few times and you have forgotten that your Mother served in the WAAF.

Incidentally I have just been reading, in the Daily Mail, a pieces about the RM Commandoes in the Korean battle of the Choisen reservoir. What a story, bravery par excellence.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

Not quite, flycatcher1 - this from Wikipedia

"On 1 February 1949, the name was revived when the Women's Auxiliary Air Force, which had been founded in 1939, was renamed the Women's Royal Air Force. The WRAF and the RAF grew closer over the following decades, with increasing numbers of trades opened to women, and the two services formally merged in 1994, marking the full assimilation of women into the British military and the end of the Women's Royal Air Force." Kinda depends on how old John Bunyan is, don'tcha think! lol

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

flycatcher1. Yes that's because I was there, well somebody had to help our American friends out I suppose.

Incidentally, I always thought that the WRAF were part of the RAF. Just as the WRNS were part of the Royal Navy. Weren't the WAAF the auxiliary Air force? Did they have two separate arms or is it just the way the cookie crumbled?

I do know that the womens' branches of the services did and still do a marvellous job. But us plain other ranks were not allowed near them, Officers only seemed to be the order of the day. I talk to an ex-jenny WREN every week in our Navy club and we often have a laugh about that. She takes it in good humour.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

What's the best smartwatch? 11 iWatch rivals compared in our wearables round-up

IDG UK Sites

App cloning: the mobile software industry’s hidden shame

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features