We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Another Grammar Question?

Bing.alau
Resolved

Likes # 0

I am beginning to think that maybe it is me. But every time I see the word "as" instead of "Has" I get a little niggle in my mind.

"He as just gone over to the shops" instead of "He has just gone over to the shops". why a little thing upsets me I do not know. Do other people get these feelings?

I know I am not really in to grammar myself, I winced at school when my teacher used the phrase "Subject and Predicate" at the beginning of an English lesson. I still do not know what it means. So why does this irritate me?

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

jb. It's a pity but there is always the chance of a bad apple. It doesn't take much to spoil the barrel full.

If I remember correctly the only VC of the Korean debacle was won by a bloke by the name of Speakman. He ended up throwing rocks and anything he could lay his hands on at the enemy as they tried to take the hill they were defending. I remember the name because there was a bloke in my recruit squad named Spackman when we joined up. He was as thick as two short planks. Impossible to forget the ones we had to carry around.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I meant to add that Speakman was in the Glorious Gloucester's.

Like this post
Macscouse

Likes # 0

Speakman won his VC whilst attached to The Black Watch. When I was a young soldier, I met this man in a bar in Germany.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

macscouse, My dad served in the Black Watch during the first world war. Small world isn't it?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

... my Dad served in the second world war, and came through it ... he showed me his bullet wounds and shrapnel scars, when I was a wee boy ...it's only now that I realize what the word courage really means.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

When my dad had a drink or two, he would say things like - skinnyfelishfelishfeloosh, sarawakindobudge and intelintelanto etc., which was always very comical, but everybody knew he was 'reliving' past memories of happenings during the war.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

This is an old one about a veteran and although I have read it a few times in the past it keeps getting back on my e-mail system... Sorry for all you ex-civilian types for the military story but I like it.

Charley, a new retiree-greeter at Wal-Mart, just couldn't seem to get to work on time. Every day he was 5, 10, 15 minutes late. But he was a good worker, really tidy, clean-shaven, sharp-minded and a real credit to the company and obviously demonstrating their "Older Person Friendly" policies. One day the boss called him into the office for a talk. "Charley, I have to tell you, I like your work ethic, you do a bang-up job when you finally get here; but your being late so often is quite bothersome." "Yes, I know boss, and I am working on it." "Well good, you are a team player. That's what I like to hear. Yes sir, I understand your concern and I will try harder. Seeming puzzled, the manager went on to comment, I know you're retired from the Armed Forces. What did they say to you there if you showed up in the morning late so often?" The old man looked down at the floor, then smiled. He chuckled quietly, then said with a grin, "They usually saluted and said, Good morning, Admiral, can I get your coffee, sir?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......