We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Another Grammar Question?

Bing.alau
Resolved

Likes # 0

I am beginning to think that maybe it is me. But every time I see the word "as" instead of "Has" I get a little niggle in my mind.

"He as just gone over to the shops" instead of "He has just gone over to the shops". why a little thing upsets me I do not know. Do other people get these feelings?

I know I am not really in to grammar myself, I winced at school when my teacher used the phrase "Subject and Predicate" at the beginning of an English lesson. I still do not know what it means. So why does this irritate me?

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

Or even the Conservative one.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

... "Tip-toe through the tulips" was a 'spin-off' modern equivalent, made famous 'n' poplar by Tiny Tim.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

"gay" conservatives? perish the thought! on the other hand.....

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

SillBill etc.

Just to be clear. My father was a navigator in Lancasters , in the RAFVR, KIA on the way back from Berlin on 23 Aug 1943. I am 75. My mother was in the WAAF as a driver in Coastal Command,(1942 - 1944) driving vehicles from the large bomb trolley trucks to driving a staff car for the CO Coastal command. AVM Sir Phillipp Joubert de la Ferte (I think). I was using shorthand earlier. In my time we had a great rapport with the RAF, from parachuting to helicopter operations and RAF Regiment training , plus being trained (and practising) in setting up a hasty "field" runway to land a C130 at night. That did not stop healthy banter. We used to do PT in RAF Akrotiri and did a sideways "crab - like" skip past the officers mess in the mornings. Sorry that this is boring to non service folk!

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

Well that clears up the WAAF RAF/WRAF controversy! I do believe I was right in saying that it hinged on your age JB!

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"morddwyd- you must admit that "going down the Primrose Path" does sorta have Gay overtones! lol"

Only in this gay obsessed world that we now seem to inhabit.

If I went on about, and constantly displayed, my heterosexuality the way some people do their homosexuality I'd be accused of being a dirty old man.

I have no feelings either way, as long as it doesn't frighten the horses, but it does seem to get an inordinate amount of attention.

Like this post  
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

Bing.alau. Congratulations for surviving the Korean War. Last month a close relation was at a dinner, in his honour, in Korea. The assembly gave him a toast and then another one in thanks for what the British did for Korea in the war.

He lives in Gloucestershire but had no knowledge of the " Glorious Glosters". Another forgotten war?

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

John Bunyan. You must be very proud of your Father. He was a man of Class and Discernment in his choice of Aircrew Trade.

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

SillBill. I was referring to the Primrose League - with tongue in cheek!

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

flycatcher1

Thanks, yes but 55000 others were KIA and FE's father and many others did an equal or even "better" job. Indeed I think that the whole of the armed forces are an example to us all these days (with a very few exceptions)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S6 release date, features and specs rumours: When will the Galaxy S6 come out?

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...