We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Another Grammar Question?

Bing.alau
Resolved

Likes # 0

I am beginning to think that maybe it is me. But every time I see the word "as" instead of "Has" I get a little niggle in my mind.

"He as just gone over to the shops" instead of "He has just gone over to the shops". why a little thing upsets me I do not know. Do other people get these feelings?

I know I am not really in to grammar myself, I winced at school when my teacher used the phrase "Subject and Predicate" at the beginning of an English lesson. I still do not know what it means. So why does this irritate me?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I would put down [...if that's the correct expression] my interest in words and proper grammatical terms 'n' spelling, to my 1st year Latin teacher ... [amo amas amat ... et al] ... and Tarquinius Superbus & Co.!

Like this post
csqwared

Likes # 0

Bing.alau

I suppose, like me, you are one of the 'old school' where grammar and proper english were an important part of our tuition, you may recall my thread regarding 'loose' and 'lose'. I'm with you. it irritates me also. Not so very long ago I did a couple of years in night school refreshing my French and German. At the time I thought it would be a nice parallel to go over the English grammar but could I find a class? - literature only which seems to be the norm in school these days.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

Bing.alau

You are not alone. Errors which can be glossed over in speech just scream at you when committed to text.

Like this post
tullie

Likes # 0

There is a regular user of these forums who always misses the H in has

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

The misuse of "of" cracks me up as in "should of" instead of "should have"!

Typical of our lazy "any way will do" society.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

Fortunately the use (misuse) of "Text speak" is still banned in these forums.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Yes Thank God for that.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Bill Bryson's book 'Mother Tongue' is worth a look if you are interested in linguistics ... it's very entertaining, on Shakespeare he writes:-

"No one in any tongue has ever made greater play of his language. He coined some 2,000 words - an astonishing number - and gave us countless phrases. As a phrasemaker there has never been anyone to match him. Among his inventions: one fell swoop, in my mind's eye, more in sorrow than in anger, to be in a pickle, bag and baggage, vanish into thin air, budge an inch, play fast and loose, go down the primrose path, the milk of human kindness, remembrance of things past, the sound and the fury, to thine own self be true, to be or not to be, cold comfort, to beggar all description, salad days, flesh and blood, foul play, tower of strength, to be cruel to be kind, and on and on."

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 1

"There is a regular user of these forums who always misses the H in has"

and one who liberally sprinkles his posts with incorrectly used apostrophes

and another who calls a screen a screan

and so on,and so on, but so what?

We could all spend our time criticising others for their lack of grammatical knowledge, or their inability to spell correctly, but that person who doesn't know an adjective from a preposition might leave most of us standing when it comes to Windows7 problems.

We're a virtual community, and we probably represent a reasonable cross-section of society. It takes all sorts, as they say, and perhaps we should exhibit a degree of tolerance and understanding to those who, for one reason or another, don't always do things as we would like them done.

Here endeth the lecture.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

"Amen" ...Is that pronounced with an "A" as in the alphabet, or with an "AR"?

I know I am guilty of sprinkling my posts with pars (parentheses may be the correct word) and quotation marks and probably lots of other annoying habits. So "I can't talk" as the saying goes.

I have never heard the saying "Go down the primrose path" but it sounds like a good idea right now.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes