We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Privatisation of Dell

Al94

Likes # 0

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

I give up

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"I give up"

I can see that you're trying to make a point here, but what is it? Listed companies often go back into private ownership,and the changes have been on the cards for at least a year.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

What I find interesting about this is the substantial loan from Microsoft that has enabled the share buy-back.

I wonder if the discontinuation of any planned Chromebook was a condition of the loan?

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

Not trying to make any point at all if you took the time to read the thread.

Another forum member appeared to be having difficulty understanding what Dell were doing - that's all.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I read the thread, but I still can't work out why you posted it.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

It was breaking news, pc related, thought it might be of interest, maybe your new rules will say a reason for posting must be given?

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

It is interesting that one of the stated reasons is that a private company can take the time to do things right whereas a publicly traded company has to deliver every quarter.

I can vouch for the last part of that statement. I worked for several years for a publicly traded electronic controls manufacturer in Dallas Texas and the pressure to perform was intense. Each Monday morning we reviewed the previous week's performance against our plan. Did Sales bring in enough orders? Did Manufacturing produce enough? Was it the right stuff? Did Purchasing buy enough of the right parts? Did Quality Control check that the goods going out were within specification? Was Quality of parts coming in correct? Did Shipping get the goods to the right place on time? Did Engineering meet their target for new products? Had Finance met their targets for Receivable and Payables?

This weekly meeting was aimed at making sure we met the month's target and most importantly that we met the target for the Quarter when it would be reviewed by the board and compared against the company's other divisions before being released to the press and of course seen by any investors.

As a publicly traded company in the US Dell would be working under those same pressures, taken private some of that pressure would still be there but the need to show results to shareholders each quarter would not.

Sir Alan Sugar tried the same thing in 1992 with a buy back of Amstrad but he failed when the shareholders voted against the move.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"Another forum member appeared to be having difficulty understanding what Dell were doing"

If that refers to me, I posted at 3.56 on 6th what my difficulty had been (the use of English) and that my difficulty had been resolved.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Like all these flotations or buy-outs, there is usually quite a lot of activity behind the scenes that the public may or never will hear about. Equity companies can be very secretive as to the way they obtain or service a company, and I would imagine that Dell and Microsoft are well advanced as to 'what next'.

Considering that Dell had a very strong foothold, commercially and public sector, I can only wonder if previous spikes of poor customer service as had anything to do with this?.

What would also concern me, is the role of Microsoft, considering their world-wide power at present?.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"maybe your new rules will say a reason for posting must be given?"

Not at all,and now you've explained that you posted for general interest my question is answered. It was your "I give up" remark that threw me.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features