We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Privatisation of Dell

Al94

Likes # 0

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

Sorry, link need subscription to view full content, this is better http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/02/05/dellsilverlakebuydell/

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

Third time lucky! This should work!

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

It is interesting that one of the stated reasons is that a private company can take the time to do things right whereas a publicly traded company has to deliver every quarter.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

Presumably the advantages are to allow time for prolonged radical restructuring and repositioning without public scrutiny and remove the threat of a hostile takeover bid.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Are Dell nationalised then? I didn't know that.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

morddwyd

Another of the joys of the English language.

I suppose 'taken private' would be better than 'privatisation' though that sounds like something that happens in the stationery cupboard during the office party.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I was still confused, but now I've read the news story (should have done that first!) I understand.

Dell is returning to private ownership, though it was never publicly owned!

As you say, the joys of the English language, like public schools which are very private!

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

Dell was a publically listed company owned by its shareholders. Michael Dell(with the aid of investors)is buying the company back from the shareholders so it becomes a private company again. This is how it was 25 years ago before Dell was floated on the stock market.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

And?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

7 coolest 3D-printed objects: Body parts, houses, camera lenses and even pizza

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks