We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Huhne pleads guilty

Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Story.

Chris Huhne admits perverting the course of justice and lying but I am a tad confused was he lying or 'spinning' as it was pointed out to me in another thread "There's a big difference between politicians and businesses who tend to 'spin' rather than lying outright"

So perhaps this is all a misunderstanding?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"admits perverting the course of justice and lying" Where is there not a lie in that?

There's no sympathy from me for lawmakers that break laws.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

Simply another example of "Beware the scorned woman", (even after 10 years!!) I suppose.

More interesting to watch how her case develops, 'marital coercion' is an interesting defence.

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

Given his (political) background and other factors which have been referred to and even proven by way of statements and evidentially, I think he should receive the maximum sentence permissable AND pay ALL the costs unnecessarily incurred by his lying. That should also include the prosecution costs and wasted court costs

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

You need to look up the meaning of the word 'tend'.

Starting a new thread just to pursue a vendetta is petty in the extreme.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

One definition of tend - "Regularly or frequently behave in a particular way or have a certain characteristic"

So would that be for spinning or lying or both?

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Spin, to my simple mind means to rotate swiftly in a circular motion

Whereas, also my opinion, Politically - Spin means Lie, full stop!

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Just wondering if his wife will also be charged can they charge the one without charging the other.

He asked and she did it. So I suppose both are to blame.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

If Huhne deserves a custodial sentence for this (and I think he does), should all those MPs who lied about their expenses be treated similarly?

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

Jock1e "Just wondering if his wife will also be charged"

She was in the dock with him, her trial starts today, according to a previous BBC linked story - and her defence is said to be 'marital coercion' as I said earlier, at 8-41am.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

spider9

Ok I never noticed thanks for updating me.

Unfortunately it was a well know fact that others were doing the same and getting friends or family to take the points for them.

I think in those days it did not matter to some drivers as basically they were only after the revenue that the fines produced.

But I think it was Luton that started using the photo of drivers to make sure that they had the correct person.

Jail sentences were given to some that tried to cheat by getting someone else to take the points.

Not saying Luton was the first place to do it,Just the place that I remember.

I suppose it was not just the fines that drivers were worried about it was also either loosing their no claims discount or having a steep rise on their insurance premiums.

It was against the law but I bet it would surprise us all how many actually did it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Convincing leaked photos show iPhone 6

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014