We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Richard III's remains: Leicester car park dug up

Jock1e

Likes # 0

It has been reported that the Bones dug up in Leicester car park were that of King Richard the 3rd.

I believe there is a program on tonight at 9Pm all about the dig so that should be interesting.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Bing.alau

He's just a good guy like me. Humble, modest and perfect as ever eh?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

john bunyan

"...so he was, presumably a Catholic at the time of his death, so should be buried in that faith."

Richard was certainly a Catholic, and would certainly have found anything to do with the modern Church of England abhorrent.

Perhaps he should therefore be interred in Westminster Cathedral.

Like this post
namtas

Likes # 0

Sorry to see that Confab felt that he had to terminate his membership of the forum in that way. I am sure that he would have had much to offer and I hope that he would reconsider.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

FE

From the Leicester Cathedral website ( Cathedral built before 1000AD, all Catholic stuff removed 1584, re consecrated as (C of E) Cathedral 1927):

*The following statement has been made on behalf of the Bishop of Nottingham, concerning the reinterment of the remains of King Richard III: "The Bishop is pleased that the body of King Richard III has been found under the site of Greyfriars Church in Leicester, in which it was buried following the Battle of Bosworth in 1485, and that it will be reinterred with dignity in the city where he has lain for over five hundred years. Richard III was one of the last Catholic monarchs of England and his death was a decisive moment in British history, but the ultimate decision as to what form the interment takes lies with the Government and the Church of England, since he will be buried in Leicester Cathedral. In accordance with long-established ecumenical practice, Bishop Malcolm will be happy t take part in any form of ceremony which takes place to mark his final burial."*

Interesting debate. If the RC and C of E are truly ecumenical, then the local RC bishop would officiate in the Leicester Cathedral, but I doubt if the two churches are as ecumenical as they claim! When the Pope invited the Westminster Abbey choir to St Peter's, Rome recently, the Dean of Westminster was not allowed to take Communion there. So much for ecumenicism.

Maybe the "Government" will take up your suggestion?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

There's no doubt in my mind it should be done in the manner of his times.

Like this post
Ex plorer

Likes # 0

To days technology says it was/is King Richard the 111, and twenty years on from now will technology still agree, it may well be worth while for a few years at least to keep the bones available for future analysis just to be certain, surly it cant do any harm.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

"There's no doubt in my mind it should be done in the manner of his times."

I agree - so, no TV coverage.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

Aitchbee - in your dreams!

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

The poor chap has just seen daylight for the first time in 500 years and you can't wait to get him 6 ft under again.

If he could see I wonder what he would think of the world we live in now.

Probably be about 6 months or so before he is laid to rest again in the place fitting for a King.

Would they put his bones on show for a short spell so that anyone could go and see him.

Probably not but you never know.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

10 mind-blowing Oculus Rift experiments that reveal VR's practical potential

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & other Black Friday tech offers