We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Richard III's remains: Leicester car park dug up

Jock1e

Likes # 0

It has been reported that the Bones dug up in Leicester car park were that of King Richard the 3rd.

I believe there is a program on tonight at 9Pm all about the dig so that should be interesting.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

What is this 'banging on'? I tried googling it but there doesn't seem to be such a term. All I could find was The definition of BANGING is "Very beautiful, sexy" (internetslang.com)

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

I am quite interested in the science behind how very old bones can be identified and all the confounders along the way.

That said, I wonder if it really matters that these particular bones were found.

Apart from a few fanatics, does it matter to anyone?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

You might as well ask if any history matters to anyone fm.

Everyone has an interest in history at some level, even if it's only knowing what their grandparents did, or how much a pint of beer was when they left school. It all has a social value.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

fourm member

Someone in our family is an archaeologist who used to work behind the scenes on the Time Team TV programme. She knows quite a bit about how old bones and teeth can be used to provide all kinds of information, and has lent me several books on the subject - large parts of which are unintelligible as far as I'm concerned.

If you know what to look for you can find out what a person's diet consisted off, what work he or she probably did, and what illnesses and injuries people had, as well as where they spent their lives. It's all very fascinating, and the science is advancing as new technologies become available.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

"Apart from a few fanatics, does it matter to anyone?".

It might be a few fanatics to some people, but in this case, history as a knack of revealing some very interesting facts, especially the way science and similar subjects are perhaps moving forward with more precise evidence.

In this particular dig, there was other remains found nearby, and had it not been the 'deformed' spine, this skeleton would not have received the attention that it did. With the end results, would RichardIII have re-opened the history book once again?.

I do think that calling people fanatics is a bit strong, because in all our own little world's we are possibly fanatics to our very own believes and fortunes, but would not consider ourselves in those terms?.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

Let me explain.

I agree that we we can learn a lot from studying what remains of the past. If we find ancient bones it is obviously worth studying them.

I'm just not convinced that there is any special significance in finding the remains of a long dead king.

I used the word fanatic in the sense 'A person filled with excessive and single-minded zeal, esp. for an extreme religious or political cause'.

Someone who has devoted a huge part of their adult life to the study of one individual is, obviously, something more than a fan.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"If we find ancient bones it is obviously worth studying them."

But after finding and studying what are found to be the historically important bones of a lost English king, could they really just be left on a shelf in a cardboard box with an easy to locate index number?

And I thought I was the forum's anti monarchist!

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

And I should add that as an anti monarchist, the re-interment ceremony should be on the grandest scale, with full medieval pageantry and a national holiday declared.

Why? Because it will link the young with the past, which is never a bad thing.

The only question would be which faith should officiate at the re-interment. A modern C of E Archbishop, or a Catholic Cardinal for an authentic Medieval Latin Mass...?

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Our Padre would do a good job because he cares not what denomination anybody is. He's just a good guy like me.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Quickbeam

"The only question would be which faith should officiate at the re-interment. A modern C of E Archbishop, or a Catholic Cardinal for an authentic Medieval Latin Mass...?"

A very interesting point. He was around before the king two reigns later fell out with the Pope, so he was, presumably a Catholic at the time of his death, so should be buried in that faith. Other kings are buried in what are now C of E Cathedrals, so maybe a good old argument will take place between the old religious "enemies". Can a RC priest take a service in a C of E Cathedral (York or Leicester)? Should he be excommunicated? Great stuff for those that worry about such things.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Netflix to introduce price increase: New subcribers to start with

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's new OS X Beta Seed Program: Run pre-release versions of OS X on your Mac

IDG UK Sites

Why our gadgets will kill us all: bleating notifications, too many chargers and the proliferation...

IDG UK Sites

See Moo Studios' new animated advert for Blue Moon beer