We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Richard III's remains: Leicester car park dug up

Jock1e

Likes # 0

It has been reported that the Bones dug up in Leicester car park were that of King Richard the 3rd.

I believe there is a program on tonight at 9Pm all about the dig so that should be interesting.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"they made the assumption that he ate a lot of fish which then miraculously put the carbon dating smack bang in the middle of his reign!"

The bones and teeth provided researchers with the information that the person had a diet that was seafood-rich. At that period in our history that indicated a person of high status.

You keep banging on about the buttock injury being "pure fiction", but of course it wasn't, it's pure fact that an injury exists. Archaeologists from the University of Leicester, (who presumably know a bit more about these things than you) say the corpse was subjected to many “humiliation injuries” including a sword through the right buttock.

When Richard was killed in Battle he was slung across a horse in the face-down position, and ridden into Leicester. The victors would certainly have wanted to humiliate him, and numerous post-mortem injuries, consistent with humiliation wounds, have been found on the bones.

He had no relatives with him on the battlefield - his brother died in 1483, before the battle. His two co-commanders were the Duke of Norfolk and the Earl of Northumberland. The mitochondrial DNA match was with two living descendants of Richard's sister.

As you say, it matters not what you think anyway - the experts are satisfied that the evidence says that "beyond reasonable doubt" it is Richard's skeleton.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Confab

I do not know if you are a forensic archaeologist or similarly qualified, or if you have studied the history written close to Richard 3rds death by, for example Thomas Moore. If not it seems to me that instead of congratulating the team at Leicester University on their amazing work, you are casting aspersions with no evidence. I think the most amazing thing was the "ESP" (about which I am very sceptical usually) of the lady who started the whole thing and suggested they dig in a particular part of the car park with an "R" on it.A true million to one chance.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"...the lady who started the whole thing and suggested they dig in a particular part of the car park with an "R" on it"

I'm not sure about that story.

Archeologists from the University of Leicester started looking for Greyfriars church under the carpark last August, and at the beginning of September they knew they had uncovered significant traces of it. The high altar is recorded in history as the site of Richard's grave, so they focused their effort on finding that part of the church, which they did.

I haven't read about a woman and her ESP being involved.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

There was a lot more that went off behind the scenes, that as not been completely revealed, yet.

Michael Ibsen was indeed the person whose DNA provided a link in identification, but there was also another person who provided further proof, but as wished to remain 'out of the limelight', and their wishes have been granted.

DNA played a massive role in this identification, because had this 'find' occured about 20 years ago, by the evidence of the dig and remains, it would have been assumed that this was indeed Richard III, even though it was not 100% certain.

Even the battlefield location that historians stated was the site, was in 2010, found not to be correct. A visitor's centre was placed in the location given, but the correct or now stated true location is about 1 mile away, behind Fenn Lane Farm.

Perhaps another mystery, is that Greyfriars is not very far from Blackfriars, and roughly the spot where it was thought Richard's remains were hastily thrown into the local river. Some people seem to associate West Bridge as the possible area chosen, and this as possibly remained in some peoples mind till this find?.

One of the biggest surprises?. This find might have still been a mystery today, because funding had virtually come to an end, and a final £10.000 required was found by members of the Richard III Society world-wide.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

With regards to the 'R', it remains a mystery as to how that got there. Those involved initially thought that it was a 'reserved' spot for a particular employee a few years ago. But due to the evidence so far, no one is really sure, even looking at the previous layouts and plans doesn't provide information?.

A graffiti tagger as been ruled out, the marking is to old :O)

Like this post
Confab

Likes # 0

John Bunyan

I’m not casting aspersions but just saying perhaps the scientist behind this could be putting two and two together to make five – that’s all really. They have said, I believe, that the body is that of Richard III but it can be argued perhaps that it is not.

FE

I didn’t say the injury was pure fiction - you made that bit up. What I said was “stabbed whilst being ridden on horseback was pure fiction” As for your comment “you keep banging on” – I find this frankly quite rude and a little offensive. I was posting my non expert opinion only. Please remember who you are – the forum editor of a PC magazine website and not someone who needs to be rude to the magazine readers and subscribers.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

The Piltdown Man and the Turin Shroud famously fooled / duped many people for years into believing into what was spoonfed to them.

john bunyan - thanks for 'backing up' my conservative 'million-to-one' quote, earlier :o]

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

FE

See sixth paragraph down in attached article, re "ESP"

Philippa Langley

Like this post
csqwared

Likes # 0

From my post yesterday @ 07:25-

"Wonder when Westminster Abbey or York Minster will intervene,....."

Didn't have to wait long did we?

York - Leicester

From The Guardian

"Richard III had – as now – very strong support in the city. His self-identification with the north and York is reflected in his plans for a chantry of 100 priests in York Minster where he wished to be buried," England (sic) said. "That the burial site of this Yorkist king was determined by where he died from battle wounds makes the importance of adhering to his own wishes for his final resting place most important."

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

...why not spread his bones all over England, in a tasteful respectful manner, and keep everybody happy? ... Give the Skull to Wales.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The best iPhone 6 alternatives: Price and specs compared with the best smartphones

IDG UK Sites

The top 10 Apple products ranked by pixel density: Which Apple devices have the sharpest screens?

IDG UK Sites

SBTRKT's Look Away webcam-based interactive music video won't keep your gaze

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...