We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Richard III's remains: Leicester car park dug up

Jock1e

Likes # 0

It has been reported that the Bones dug up in Leicester car park were that of King Richard the 3rd.

I believe there is a program on tonight at 9Pm all about the dig so that should be interesting.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

Bing.alau

Like this?

enter link description here

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I thought the film version of Shakespeare's Richard 3rd with Laurence Olivier was a great film.Although a bit corny if seen now the opening soliloquy "Now is the winter of Our discontent" was a classic.They missed the burial scene though.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

If the burial scene had been done, they wouldn't have taken so long to find him.

I'm off for an early night. before I go crackers....

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

They all knew where they buried him, but the Burke and Hare of the era dug him up and carted him off to the carpark, well 500 years ago maybe it was Ye Olde Stagecoach Parke!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

While you're all having fun making jokes about this it's worth remembering that the bones were once a human being, and that the human being was a king of some historical interest.

His remains will be buried in Leicester cathedral, which seems appropriate to me, and that will be an end to it. For me the really interesting aspect of all this is the science and technology involved in proving whose bones they were, using a DNA sample from a man in Canada.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

What is the odds.The first bones they dug up actually belonged to Richard.

And to make it more astonishing right under the R parking area.

The odds of this happening are astronomical.It just can't be done but it has been proved it can.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

I thought the channel 4 program tonight was a very interesting piece of television, as FE says the thing that interests me also is the science involved in the examination of the evidence and the proving beyond reasonable doubt that this skeleton was indeed that of Richard.

I believe that it is fitting for his body to receive the honour due to a King of England, and his interment in Leicester cathedral a fitting burial place.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

DNA sample, will the 'man in Canada' get any recognition?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

If I was Michael Ibsen, I would already be making plans to be Michael Ibsen-Plantagenet.

That must surely be the coolest legitimate double barreled name of modern times!

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014