We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Britain's Greatest Battles

Quickbeam

Likes # 0

The National Army Museum is holding a poll for what we think is Britain's Greatest Battle

I can't for the life of me think why some of the battles which history ranks as amongst The British Army's greatest disasters are in the running.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I would plump for the Battle Of The Atlantic during WW2. No doubt the Yanks would plump for The Battle for The Pacific or the one where they got shut of the Brits. Which battle would the Scots vote for? And all you ever hear the Irish talk about is The Battle Of The Boyne. So it will be horses for courses I guess.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Quickbeam. Looking at the battles in your link, it seems to ignore such as the taking of Gibraltar, and it misses out a lot of the WW1 stalemates. Of course I mentioned in my previous post what were primarily naval battles. Sorry about that.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

As this is a British Army oriented poll, I think in WW2 El Alemein and Normandy would rate highly as turning points, as would Kohima. WW1 may have been bloody but decisive battles were rare. If other fighting units are included the battle of Britain was decisive , as was the Atlantic. Gibraltar was a great battle in its day, as were others , but there have been many defeats too, such as Singapore, Dunkirk, the US War of Independence and the war with USA of 1814.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Waterloo has to be high. El Alamein was the turning point in WW2, Quebec has a Canadian significance and Imjin River was a great defensive battle.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Interesting title "Britain's Greatest Battles". Many of the battles listed were fought by Allied forces and not only British forces. That would rule out Waterloo for example and Naseby and Culloden was England v Scotland.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

We missed the big one just before WW2 when USA was thinking on taking the British on in Canada and on the Waves

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

woodchip. War plan Red. Good documentary on TV last night.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3 deals: Find the best contract for your new iPad

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...