We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Oh No - I need to spend a penny.

wiz-king
Resolved

Likes # 0

Or rather the jar full of small change sitting in the fireplace - at least half or the contents are pennies.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Seriously, this government is penny pinching. Saving relatively tiny amounts of money with ideas like this when there's billions to be made if they got the globocorps to cough up the taxes they should...

Like this post  
SillBill

Likes # 0

When people start to chuck them away, you know that inflation has taken its toll. At least when it has been removed from circulation we may no longer hear people talking about "one pee" or even "one pence".

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

"When people start to chuck them away"

We were in Lidl about a year ago and there were a couple of teens in front of us in the queue. They were given a couple of copper coins in their change and just dropped them on the floor. My wife pointed it out to them and they said they didn't want them and walked off.

Of course the Canadian cent is only worth just over half of a British penny so its much like when we abolished the half penny some years ago.

Exchange rate today $1.00 Canadian = £0.64 / £1.00 = $1.57 Canadian

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I have a bag of half pence that I cant bring myself to dump...

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

I can remember when a farthing was still legal tender - we would never have dreamed of chucking them away!!

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I'd like to see all the ratty fivers replaced with a £5 coin.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

Scotland still has three banks which issue their own notes, so Fivers don't tend to get as tatty as their English counterparts.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

The saying ...' A penny for your thoughts ' ... will have to be adjusted accordingly ... any suggestions?

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

With galloping inflation it'll be "Half a Nicker for your thoughts" soon enough.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

There was a five pound coin issued which was a sensible idea, what happened to that, not had one for years.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Get bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this Black...

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Advanced tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert - 5 new tips added