We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

I think I am going Cuckoo.

Bing.alau
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have just heard the first signs of spring. The chimes of an ice cream van in the street.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

We always took our turns to go to the ice-cream van and when we were very young my mum (or one of my big sisters) would write down a list of everything that everybody wanted - something like this:-

10 Capstain

10 Embassy tipped

bottle Irn - bru

bottle american cream soda

a nougat

a double nugget

2 kit kats

2 cheese n onion & 2 aeros

5 pokey hats

{and still plenty of change back from a fiver}

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"10 Capstain/10 Embassy tipped"

Male/female fags...?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Mum liked to save up the embassy tipped coupons to 'redeem' for 'gifts' included in the glossy EMBASSY GIFT CATALOGUE.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

...my favourite I Scream Van tune ever ... was [and still is] the guitar theme from 'The Thin Man' ... starring Joseph Cotton and Orson Welles ... a touch of class!

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

HB

Have a look at the last 2 paragraphs! Hope your family are well!

Scots diets

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

john bunyan - I looked and I had a laugh ... my two brothers and two sisters are all 'alive and kicking' ... although, my two brothers have lived [for many years] in far off lands ... England & Ireland - so you can't count them in.Personally speakin', I have cut back on salty, sugary, fatty foods and have never smoked and only have the ocassional half-pint of beer, no kiddin'.

I avoid reading the Daily Mail, if at all possible, except on saturdays when my sister let's me read her copy of the aforementioned 'paper' ;o)

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

I would have said ice cream vans chimes in the street was a sign of winter. Most vans seem to spend their time at events, these days, and with no events on offer the operators try and make a bit of money from non-events.

I'm not sure how successful they are because I don't think I've heard chimes two days running for a long time.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

FE *"The chimes of an ice cream van in the street." I haven't heard those for years,*

Can't say I remember them very often when I lived in London, but here in Norwich I live near a large school and they take the opportunity to get a bit of trade at school chucking out time in the afternoon, although they aren't allowed within a certain distance of the school gates. Also apparently they are only allowed to play their chimes for 4 seconds.

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

good to know your confessing your cuckoo i'm not the only one

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Google Fit vs Apple Health Kit: What's the difference?

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

Government kills £50 million 'Silicon Roundabout' regeneration fund