We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Six Nations 2013

Quickbeam
Resolved

Likes # 0

How come Wales arrived half an hour late for their home game...?

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Who's HB? Oh I gerrit you mean "Aitchbee"..

I nearly played at a Cup Final at Wembley one year.

I got in to the ground for free, by accompanying the Band of Her Majesty's Royal Marines from Lee-on-the-Solent Fleet Air Arm base. There were only four real Marines on the base, I was one of them and kept well in with the Bandmaster. (It's not what you know but who you know that matters in life).

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I'm looking forward to next weeks Grand Slam game, but I didn't get much chance to see this weeks games other than as background viewing as I had family around and you just can't tell them to be quite while 3 games are played. Bloody relatives!

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Quickbeam. I had the same problem, but only for the one game which I wanted to watch. Bloody relatives!

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Looks like a great game in prospect as I had hoped. Englands inability to gain a convincing win against Italy now means that Wales can also win the Championship. They only nead to beat them by 7 points and as long as England don't score 2 more tries than Wales they have it. It's going to be a nailbiter!

Couple of points. If the ball is kicked over the crossbar without it being an attempted drop goal play continues. Secondly running into your team mate in front of you is not, and never in my experience, been a technical offence - unless of course it prevents an opposing player making a tackle or reaching the ball carrier. It is obstruction in this instance. At a lineout for example, and you can see some examples in my previous link, you cannot reverse into your own player and use him as a screen to protect you in the ensuing maul. That is more often penalised with a scrum to the opposition rather than a penalty for obstruction - certainly at lower levels and standards of the game.

At the top professional level always remember that rarely nothing happens by accident! The player squealing at the referee that he can't get out of the ruck quickly enough because he's trapped - the accidental offside or "lazy runner" trotting back to his lines across the flight path of the scrum half's pass.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Taff. Thanks for clarifying some things for me at least.

Now then Boyo! who's going to win on Saturday? Have you had a bet? Aitchbee will be on shortly with the latest odds. I just hope it's a damn good game with lots of running and tries. Maybe good weather would be nice for the spectators as well as the players.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Be interesting to see what the betting stakes are. Personally, the heart says Wales, at the local pub there are 5 "friendly pints" I'm up for - some years back I lost a few friends for a few weeks when I matched every bet they offered and Wales won a grand slam. At least a "Friendly Pint" is just that!

And the referee will have a lot to do with it. I am with Brian Moore. There's too much faffing about in the scrums. Never a ball is put in correctly and a hooker has no chance against the head unless they kick it back to him or his team has illegally got the shove on. Watch some of the '73 Barbarians game against the All Blacks - scrum called, the pack bound together, ball in and resolved within a minute. Which is the intention of a scrum, to restart play.

I am grateful to both of the southern hemisphere referees last weekend. One of which set a record for the number of penalties awarded in an international which allowed Halfpenny to score 23 points and miss I think 3 others - target practice!

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"Secondly running into your team mate in front of you is not, and never in my experience, been a technical offence"

Maybe not in your experience, but certainly in mine.

Not only have I been penalised for it myself (as a fullback you sometimes had to run through 29 blokes, 30 if you include the ref, and I didn't always get it quite right!), but when doing the odd bit of refereeing I have been taking to task by opposing players for not blowing.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Ah! A fellow back, and a 15! When I took up the whistle I learnt a lot from other referees. These days we teach "materiality" - did it matter? And "Contextual" judgement in referees. The latter is really about in the context of the game perhaps it didn't affect the result that the scrum half didn't put the ball in straight every scrum because his pack shoved the opposition off the ball anyway - just another way to restart the game, maybe!

Did it matter that you ran into one of your own players? I think you answered your own question. Running into the referee is another matter. I remember being told that if a chicken with one head was running towards you as a referee just stand still. If that number 15 still managed to run into you and lays you flat out he buys you a pint in the bar afterwards but the result is still a scrum down opposition ball!

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Referees should generally be avoided.

Just let them worry about the ball while the rest of you just get on with the game!

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

OOPS! Got that decision wrong - No15 running into the referee is a scrum to the side who's full back floored me. Apparently it was my fault for being in the way!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

10 mind-blowing Oculus Rift experiments that reveal VR's practical potential

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & other Black Friday tech offers