We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Six Nations 2013

Quickbeam
Resolved

Likes # 0

How come Wales arrived half an hour late for their home game...?

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

A couple of reasons really. By recent tradition there has always been a break after the first 2 weekends. In addition the schedule also has to fit in with iRB agreements with the Nations involved and their own domestic competitions. In England they call it the "Structured Season" which allocates every week of the season to league games, the various cup competitions etc. This structure is predetermined from Premiership right down to local rugby. I suppose the benefit is that everyone knows which weekends they have free for rest periods, friendlies and Cup runs and replays or re-arranged fixtures.

Last year if I remember correctly, when the Irish Game in Paris was cancelled just before kick off on the first weekend it had to be rescheduled to the spare weekend break. Now that meant that the irish had to play 4 games on consecutive weekends - Which the Irish claim is the reason the Welsh won the Grand Slam!

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

It's pouring in Rome today. I've only ever remembered the Rome games played in bright early spring sunshine. But never mind they've used a covered stadium...

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

...well the crowd has cover.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Quickbeam - Last year there was snow on the ground!

England deserved their win but France "turned up" at least! The Tuilagi try was definately offside bet hey ho the referee missed it and the replays are providing the "experts" with something to talk about.

Wales and Italy wasn't exactly a showpiece event either - I heard one commentator remarking on the crowd pre-match stating something like " Look at the happy Welsh, Last game Paris, this week Italy and Scotland next week, no wonder they look overjoyed ...." What weather though. A bit like Dublin when England squeezed a win!

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

A bit scrappy and I was on edge until Flood got the last 3 points to make us safe from a last minute try, for me the French losing three games straight from the start meant more that our three wins!

I'd hate to be in Paris tonight...

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

And we invented a three fingered Agincourt salute in their honour, but I don't suppose they'll appreciate it much:)

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I'm afraid to say I still haven't got a scooby-doo, how or why or [exactly] when penalties occur and then awarded to either team ... it's a mystery!

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Aitchbee - At this level neither have I and I'm a Referee and an RFU Referee Trainer! There is a definate difference in interpretation at top level and a certain tolerance that the elite referees have to offences as well as certain accepted protocols with the players.

If you want to learn more have a look here RFU Link to The Game In the navigation bar start with the Basics and if you want the full Laws it's also there. (I was once told when I started refereeing that the last thing I needed was a Law Book though - in isolation it's a dangerous thing! There is a danger that a referee could be blowing his whistle all afternoon if he applied every law rigidly. I can think of over 20 offences at the scrum alone!)

Have a look here and in the bottom right hand box there are links to iRB training videos. The Scrum sequence is not current - there are now only 3 stages but the rest are pretty accurate.

If you want some more links to training videos drop another post.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Taff. Thanks for that link. I have never played rugby but I enjoy watching it. I only have a vague idea of the rules so this site will give me some better idea of why and what is going on. I have bookmarked the site and can now peruse it at leisure... Thanks again. Wish I was young enough to have a go at it.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Thanks Taff ... will have a close look at your link, later. I have never been to a rugby game, but will know what to look out for, when I do.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 launch event as it happened: Read our Windows 10 launch live blog - find out first as...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK