We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Driving and possible Medical Conditions?.

spuds
Resolved

Likes # 0

Seeing that the forum isn't very busy, I thought about raising a question, that might make an interesting discussion?.

I was wondering how many people notify their vehicle insurance company or possibly the DVLA if they have a medical complaint or recent medical and/or possibly surgical problems that perhaps should be reported?.

Is there a wider abuse of not notifying than we might not think about, or it is that some people 'forget', and would or could this have bigger implications?.

As any of the forum members 'forgot' (because it might cause further issues) or thought about this subject, especially as it might effect them and others at the least unfortunate moment?.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Just had to inform DVLA this last year, as I now have to use CPAP, Google for it, all okay from them on my condition

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

This cropped up when I had my recent surgery for a serious foot injury. The foot involved was my left one, and for six weeks I had a fibreglass cast from my foot to my knee, and then a plastic airboot from foot to knee for a further six weeks.

After the surgery I asked my consultant about driving - my car is an automatic - and he said I could do so. I checked with DVLA, and they said my injury was classed as a broken limb, and there is no need to notify them about broken limbs or any injury to a foot or leg unless it affects your ability to drive.

As it turned out I haven't needed to drive - I have a live-in driver.

Like this post
TopCat®

Likes # 0

My state of health for driving purposes is fine except for the necessity to wear corrective distance spectacles when at the wheel; DVLA notified of this recently.

Trouble is I have gone off without them on a few occasions usually when I've driven the granddaughter's dog for a walk up on the moors. Got a right old rocket from the missus, who thinks I should wear glasses all the time now, so I now keep my driving specs handy in the car.

Having recently changed my car for a 2011 Nissan Note N-Tec, which now has my personal J3 registration plates fitted, it's surprising how many police patrol car drivers are scanning me as we pass on the roads. Another perfect example of why I should be seen driving with my specs on! :) TC.

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

Quickbeam I beg to differ. I received a letter from the DVLA in July which started "We have received a report from the police". The letter went on demanding that I give my version of "the accident or incident" and that I complete a medical questionnaire. I was then compelled by the threat of licence revocation to undergo three examinations which resulted in my licence being revoked.

At no time would the DVLA disclose to me the content or source of that report, the date time and place of the alleged accident or incident, the police authority involved, the police station involved nor indeed ANY details at all.

The DVLA knew that I was a diabetic, nothing was with-held from them or my insurance company.

All I will say at the moment is that if you have had laser surgery be very aware that it could lead to revocation of your licence.

As a direct result of our EU membership the rules have been severely tightened and for those of you who may decide NOT to disclose your surgery, "ignorance of the rules", which require you to disclose your condition "is no excuse"

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

jb. Any result in your quest for a licence renewal yet?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features