We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Why don't you all belt up

csqwared
Resolved

Likes # 0

belt up

Happy birthday

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I remember grumbling about having to put these belts on at the time, not being used to wearing them. I think we had a time of grace, then, before anyone was prosecuted for failing to wear seat belts.

Today I would feel uncomfortable without one.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Wot no mention of Jimmy Savile and the 'clunk click every trip' ad? that was the mainstay of the campaign to convincing us to wear them.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

It's odd how, nowadays it feels really odd to be in a car without wearing a seat belt.

Not long ago I drove an old LandRover on a farm. It never goes on the road, and for some reason it doesn't have seat belts. It felt really weird, I seemed to be sliding around all over the seat.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

I used to wear mine in my old Riley Elf before it was compulsory. The only problem with the original ones were they weren't sprung and once you had adjusted it properly you were held quite firmly into your seat which restricted your movement somewhat.

As rdave13 says I feel quite uncomfortable if on the very rare occasion I haven't put it on.

It still amazes me to see people drive off then start to put their belts on, and some even still undo them when reversing. This was allowed originally because of the non sprung belts as it made it hard to look behind, but these days its not necessary as there is enough slack in modern belts not to restrict you, but there are those who still rebel against belts and take the opportunity to take them off.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

The first I remember of belts was in a new Vauxhall 101 in '63 when I was 7. They were the old non-inertia reel, made by Irvin I recall. I used to put it on when I went to my dads office in Mitcham from Bromley on a Saturday morning. My dad always said that they were really just for going on long trips, but I liked to feel like I was a fighter ace with it on!

Right up until the Jimmy Savile ads in the '70s were shown, most people seemed to consider that they were only for going on long journeys, for 'just in case'.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

...and of course by the mid '80s when he retired, he was in the position of senior H&S manager for a mining & tunnelling company!

How attitudes to safety do change over time...

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

On a point of interest, I wonder how many vehicles have failed an MOT for faulty seatbelts, since seatbelts became the normal requirement?.

I don't know why it is, when subjects like this appear,I always think of Marples opening the first motorway here in the UK, and how things have moved on since those very same early day!.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

A You Tube short showing some of the early motorway accident wreckage.

Looks like we have got better over the years.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Quickbeam

I miss the large caravan sites that sprang up at the side of new motorways when they were first being built. The pub sessions on a half day off on a Saturday afternoon. Things have certainly moved on since those days ;o)

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Anyone old enough (I know your there...) to remember pre-M1 trunk routes?

A fascinating piece of film.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Contactless payments to launch on London public transport this year

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

NASA offers free 3D models of satellites, probes and planets for 3D printing and animation projects