We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Why don't you all belt up

csqwared
Resolved

Likes # 0

belt up

Happy birthday

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I think Brumas would see a lot of his stills come to life in this film.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

I remember buying aftermarket seat belts to fit to my first mini. They were a none inertia type made by Kangol with a magnetic buckle. The fixing points were already provided in the car in anticipation of the regulations.

Prior to that, I had to take the firms van into the garage to have windscreen washers fitted to comply with new regulations. It comprised a squishy bulb on the floor that was pumped to give a feeble spray on the windscreen.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Slightly off subject ... many years ago, I remember coming up with the bright idea of linking two belts [Safety Belt Climbing Number 2], used for working safely at tops of telephone poles, in order to successfully tow a broken down work's vehicle [with another van] into the depot/garage...we had no tow-rope to hand. My workmate and I then exchanged the 'stretched' belts, at stores, for two brand new belts as 'health and safety' was always paramount when working as a telephone maintenance engineer.

Like this post
Noldi

Likes # 0

A few weeks we had a contract company in to transport a vehicle to a test, as we didn't have enough seats in the crew bus I jumped in the truck. This truck was of an age that did not have seat belts and I had a very un easy journey.

I remember that at the time when this law was first introduced that you could buy a tee shirt with a black diagonal stripe on to make it look like you where wearing a seat belt now how stupid was that.

Noldi

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"...now how stupid was that."

Not for the T shirt printers that sold them! Available in driver's side and passenger's side too.

Like this post
the.hick

Likes # 0

Quickbeam, about 1972 I had a 1965 Triumph Spitfire, with the optional 'Full Harness' type of seatbelts, with a button in the centre to release it - made by the Irving Airchute Company I recall. With the odd handling on those cars they were useful!

Like this post
the.hick

Likes # 0

Quickbeam, about 1972 I had a 1965 Triumph Spitfire, with the optional 'Full Harness' type of seatbelts, with a button in the centre to release it - made by the Irving Airchute Company I recall. With the odd handling on those cars they were useful!

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

the.hick

A friend of mine use to restore Triumph Spitfires and similar beasties, recording the restoration in written and photographic/film form from purchase to completion, before selling on to a new owner. A duplicate copy of the records were given to the new owner.

Can never recall though, the 'racing drivers' harness on any of the models he restored :O)

Like this post
muddypaws

Likes # 0

I was waiting for someone to mention Jeremy Vine. On last Thursday's broadcast about seat belts there are still people coming out with the old arguments viz. 'I'm not being told what to do in my own car' and '....if I had been wearing a belt I would have been killed. So I don't wear one now'.

Like this post
Noldi

Likes # 0

Muddypaws I heard that and these people don't realise how stupid their argument sounded.

I work in the Automotive industry and when you see what can happen to a strapped in dummy during a crash test is amazing even at 30 mph. The thinking that a tight grip on the steering wheel is going to stop you flying around is not reality.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia