We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

I'm a Daddy

Macscouse
Resolved

Likes # 0

Up here in the North of Scotland, snowdrops are popping out everywhere in my garden, and the crocuses (crocii?) are not far behind. What's the betting that there will be snow on the Cairgorm in June?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

...double carpets.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Macscouse, I'm rifling thru' hundreds of packets of flower seeds to see which ones I can start propagating ... spring is in the air [indoors only] ;o]

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

In broad terms it takes around eight weeks for Spring to move from Southern England to the North of Scotland - roughly walking pace.

In my garden the daffodils are just starting to come through the soil, so it will be a few weeks yet before it looks like Spring. The buds on my Camellias are usually the first to open, accompanied by the Magnolia - neither of them are looking like it just yet.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I was only saying the other week in this forum, about the apple and pear trees on my property were showing large scale budding, so i was anticipating an early harvest.

When I saw the title I was a little concerned about Brumas and Bing.alau commenting :O)

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

One of our gardeners has had all his Daffodils out for a week already - Ayr in S W Scotland

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

spuds I really wasn't going to respond but feel I now must if only to save the blushes of LHO ;o}

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"crocuses (crocii?)"

I think the modern plural term is now OK, especially when some years ago the Queen referenced 'stadiums' in a speech. If it comes from her mouth, it's official Queens English.

My first Crocus has shown a petal this morning and the mini Irises are well under way. I have about a dozen terracotta planters with a few hundred spring bulbs every year giving about 6 weeks worth of spring has sprung. To me, they're the first feelgood factor heralding the end of winter.

Like this post
SimpleSimon1

Likes # 0

FE

"In my garden the daffodils are just starting to come through the soil, so it will be a few weeks yet before it looks like Spring."

Was down with my in-laws near Penzance, last week. Daffodils everywhere in full bloom, as are most of the early Spring flowers. Can't move on the trains for boxes of daffs etc being shipped up-country.

Like this post  
fourm member

Likes # 0

SimpleSimon1

'being shipped up-country'

I hope the recipients know what they are getting.

Last year Chinese supermarkets in Bristol were selling bunches of daffodils with unopened buds and some people bought them as chives.

10 people needed hospital treatment.

I never found out if this was the customers making mistakes or whether a wholesaler supplying the shops got it wrong.

BBC report here.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

SimpleSimon1

Family friends have a flower business in the Isles of Scilly. Depending on weather conditions they can be harvesting early Narcissus crops in the autumn.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 review: Great if you like big, expensive phones

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015