We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

AA calls OFT report on Petrol Pricing "a whitwash"

SillBill

Likes # 0

I tend to agree with the AA on this, when the government rakes in 60% of the price in Duty and VAT, what is there left to play around with? Although the Oil companies are not squeaky clean either, falling crude prices don't make their way to the pumps as fast as when crude prices go up.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

Thanks, fourm member, I now see what was intended!

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

fourm member

Thank you for that very simple explanation, it was so very easy.

spider9

If you ask any (or most) tanker driver's where or what the fuel they are delivering is or comes from, the answer would most likely be the same or a simple one. It would depend on the storage/holding or refinery facility that they fill their tankers from, plus their base and distance they travel. It doesn't always mean that the name on the tanker is the owner or named fuel supplier (most tankers are contracted). Or at least that's how its been explained to me, when I have asked the question on forecourts.

As fourm member said "most people couldn't tell the difference between different brands of fuel", because there probably isn't one, or one that the general public would know about. Marketing products can have funny twists in the tail?.

The fuel price between 'named' products and pump price, would all come down to discount prices that the supermarkets or independent can negotiate from their supply source, and possibly based on volume sales. The tanker driver dropping off a load at an independent garage two miles from doing the exact same at a supermarket takes the same effort, but cost different. Hence some supermarkets will offer 'spend £50 or more instore and get a voucher for 5/10p a litre off'. The stuff being poured into a vehicle tank at the pumps, is probably the same?.

Possibly one exception to that, was a number of years ago, when one of our local business people who owned a range of forecourts, imported the fuel his garages used direct from Holland or somewhere similar. He also supplied other 'independents' at that time, because he could obtain better prices for himself and the public.

Phew, glad that I got that off my chest :O)

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Whoops, I didn't realise that we were on another page, and spider9 responded further at 10.16am :O))

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features