We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

AA calls OFT report on Petrol Pricing "a whitwash"

SillBill

Likes # 0

I tend to agree with the AA on this, when the government rakes in 60% of the price in Duty and VAT, what is there left to play around with? Although the Oil companies are not squeaky clean either, falling crude prices don't make their way to the pumps as fast as when crude prices go up.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Smoke 'n' Mirrors 'n' Rockets 'n' Feathers are called to [my] mind [TIC].

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

It's too regular not to be a whitewash. If only we could all stop using the damn stuff for a week or two. (A sort of strike by the customers). That might make them think.

The way it's going it shouldn't be to long before the truck drivers etc., will have had enough and block the roads. Then again we aren't French are we?

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

Given that the easy way out would have been for the OFT to say it wasn't able to reach a conclusion so it was passing it to the Competition Commission to look at, I'm happy that the OFT knows what it is talking about.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

fourm member

" There is little evidence to suggest that when crude prices fall, pump prices are slow to come down" Yep, OFT knows what it is talking about!

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

The Rocket & Feather effect, 'percieved' by people who run cars, is that petrol prices tend to go up 'like a rocket' when the price of crude oil goes up, but petrol prices [at the pump] tend to go down 'like a feather', if the oil market [price of oil] plunges.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Smoke & Mirrors are self-explanatory.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

Aitchbee

We can be thankful then, that OFT hasn't heard of the R & F effect.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

My "perception" as I hand over another £80 at Tesco's filling station is that I'm being ripped off by A) The Government and B) The Multi National Oil companies.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I would conclude, SillBill, that your powers of observation are 'topnotch'.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

My perception is that I'm just simply ripped off...

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

What's the best smartwatch? 11 iWatch rivals compared in our wearables round-up

IDG UK Sites

App cloning: the mobile software industry’s hidden shame

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features